Is it okay to sit at work after Brazilian Butt Lift procedure?

Hello I had a lipo and bbl procedure on June 5 2015. I returned to work on June 16th. I do minimal sitting at work like for no longer then 15-20 mins each time. So I do get up often. I wanted to if this will effect my BBL. I am not using a boppy at work but the chair is soft. Please is this ok???

I usually tell patients to avoid sitting for about two weeks, but then after that only for a few minutes at a time and constantly change positions.  Best to ask your surgeon.

Sitting after BBL

Thank you for your questions. I usually tell my patients no sitting for at least 2 to 3 weeks. However if it is for a short period of time make sure you get up frequently so the fat cells are not suffocating. Best of luck!Dhaval M. Patel 
Double board certified
Plastic surgeon
Hoffman Estates 

Dhaval M. Patel, MD
Hoffman Estates Plastic Surgeon

Thank you for your question.  You should be fine, since you are about two weeks post-op.  Make sure to get up at the rate you have been, though.

Dr. Results
Miami, FL

BBL Post-op Sitting

Thank You for this Great Question!

So you are 11 days post op, back to work, and you want to sit down. Sitting for 20 minutes at a time is good interval with activity of 5 minutes in between to reduce DVT formation. But remember your fat grafts are not completely immobile for up to 2 months and can be moved with pressure from your body weight.

Experience with facial and BBL fat grafts in practice and current literature supports the thought that the low oxygen state of the fat graft send signals to stem cells for new cell growth and new blood vessel growth into the low oxygen area.  Anything that would decrease oxygen supply to the area would delay growth and cause more reabsorption on the fat grafts.  

A few of the research supported factors that would delay oxygen supply to the grafts include:
Decrease blood circulation due to blood pressure changes:  
  • body weight compression ( Sitting and lying) greater than systolic blood pressure (main cause of nursing home bed soars)
  • decreased blood supply form generalized hypotension
Vasoconstrictive agents which decrease the rate of oxygen flowing to the fat grafts:
  • nicotine ( one inhalation of puff of a cigarette will constrict vessels for 16 hours) 
  • caffeine (watch your tea, 5 hour energy, decaf, chocolate)
Reduced angiogenesis:
  • A diet rich in green vegetables has been proven to reduce the ability for new blood vessel branches to grow into the low oxygen area
Ok, the chair is soft, and not using a boppy.  My patients have had great success in using a foam yoga matt rolled up really tight and trimmed to the width of their office chair.  The matt compresses and conforms to your posterior thighs and sits on the very front of your office chair seat.  You can adjust the height of your matt to keep your buttocks from touching the chair by unrolling and trimming the length. This will do the job by keeping pressure off the buttocks but not have you too high in the seat. You can use this in the car and on the toilet if needed. An additional smaller matt can hang form the back of your chair to fit into the small lower back and keep the back of your buttocks of the chair back.

I hope this helps. Wish you well, and a quick recovery.

Brazilian butt lift

Thank you for your question.However, we advise our patients to not sit or put any pressure on their buttocks for the first week. The longer you can remain off your buttocks, the better the results will be.  That being said, during the next few weeks of recovery, if you must sit, we tell our patients to do it as minimally as possible with numerous pillows to take pressure off of the buttocks.

Best regards,
Dr. Lane F. Smith, MD
Plastic Surgeon
Las Vegas, NV

Lane Smith, MD