Undoing a bad hyaluronic job?

hi there, i had a bad experience with Hyaluronic Acid filling in my laugh lines. the doctor apparently injected too superficially and i ended up with a soft bump on the upper side of my left lip, which doctors claim that cannot be removed. (I tried melting it, didn't work). one doctor says that since it is set on the upper layer of my dermis it will last there forever. can this be true? it has already been six months and no changes so far. the filling material is Restylane.

If there is a lump, the dissolver needs to be injected accurately into the center of the lump to dissolve it.

Hi Selmayadayada,

If the filler was Hyaluronic Acid, it should be dissolvable using Hyaluronidase.  When lumps form, the filler is not evenly distributed and has likely created a depot of filler.  A depot is an accumulation of pure filler in a single location.  Sometimes these lumps of filler have a small rind of collagen which may have formed around the filler, which makes them tricky to dissolve.

If the dissolver is injected outside of the rind of collagen, the filler will not dissolve, because the your collagen is protecting filler from dissolving.  If the dissolver is able to be injected into the center of the lump, then the chance of dissolving it increases.  Sometimes, it can also take more than one session to wash out the filler as much as possible.  Usually one session will not dissolve it all, unless massive amounts of dissolver is used.  Using too much dissolver has issues of its own.

Personally I attempt accuracy over quantity.  It is like a laser guided missile to the target building of interest, instead of carpet bombing a village to try to hit the building of interest.

I hope that helps.

Dr. Yang

P.S. If you find my answers or other doctors answers to questions are helpful, please +1 those answers to push up the better answers to the top, which helps others who read the same post, get to the more helpful answers first.

P.P.S. There is a new feature on Realself, which is the "Follow" button. It is similar to the "Like" button on Facebook. If you like my response or any of the doctor responses while you research on Realself, you should "Follow" them. You will get email updates, when the doctors you follow post any new answers to questions, post new photos, or have any new reviews.

Hyaluronic Acid Filer Bumps

Dear Selma, Hyaluronidase is a protein enzyme that degrades hyaluronic acids (HAs) like Restylane, Juvidrem and Belotero. Hyaluronidase can successfully dissolve HAs in the dermis and under the skin, but may require more than one treatment. So long as the filler that was injected is a hyaluronic acid, hyaluronidase will dissolve it. Please consult with an experienced Board Certified physician who is familiar with injecting fillers and this technique. Best wishes, Dr. Richard Swift

Restylane and Dissolving Lump

If Restylane was injected it can definitely be dissolved.  There are times when more than one injection of Vitrase is needed to correct the situation.  Please consult an expert who is familiar with Vitrase and an expert in these cosmetic injections.  Best, Dr. Green

Restylane can be easily dissolved

Restylane, Perlane, Juvederm and many other products fall into the HA or Hyaluronic Acid family of non permanent fillers. Good news? They can be reversed with Hylase or a molecule known as Hyaluronidase. Simple procedure to perform with minimal downtime. The results are almost instant, and it is a very safe procedure. 

All the best 

Dr Davin Lim
Laser and aesthetic dermatologist
Brisbane, Australia. 

Davin Lim, MBBS, FACD
Brisbane Dermatologist

Lumpy Lip After Filler

I am sorry to hear of your experience.  If the filler injected was #hyaluronicacid (#Juvederm, #Voluma, #Vobella, #Volift, #Restylane, #RestylaneLyft, #RestylaneSilk, or #Belotero), it can be dissolved with #hyaluronidase (#Wydase, #Hylenex).  Your physician may need to inject more to dissolve the superficially placed filler.

Suneel Chilukuri, MD
Houston Dermatologic Surgeon

Undoing HA Fillers

If your filler is in fact Restylane, and Restylane being a Hyaluronic Acid, it can for sure be dissolved. It is a quick and easy treatment that involves the filler being dissolved by using an enzyme called Hyaluronidase. This should easily solve your problem, but might take more than one treatment to get the full reversal.

Lawrence Bundrick, MD
Huntsville Plastic Surgeon

Bump after filler to upper lip lines

If you indeed had a hyaluronic acid filler like Restylane, it can be reversed with hyaluronic acid. Perhaps it was difficult to place the hyaluronidase to dissolve it in the exact area of the filler causing the problem, but using a tiny amount with a very small needle should do the trick.

All the best to you!
Dr. Clark

Sheryl D. Clark, MD

Bump form filler

Thank you for your question.  If hyaluronic acid fillers like Juvederm or Restylane were used this is easily reversed with an injection of hyaluronidase.  If another type of filler was used you will have to wait for the body to resorb the material over time.  Regards, Dr. Matt Elias

Matthew Elias, DO, FAAD
Fort Lauderdale Dermatologic Surgeon

Filler?

If the bump is from a filler, then hyaluronidase should be able to dissolve it. Best of luck with your bump.

Removing filler in the lips

Hyaluronic acid is a medication that can be injected into the lump of filler to dissolve it. Sometimes it takes more than one injection session, but it should break up the Restylane and cause the bump to flatten.

Ramona Behshad, MD
Saint Louis Dermatologic Surgeon