BA date approaching! Scared about post-op care, bartending, walking my dog, etc. 34AA getting 350cc Moderate+ smooth silicone.

I live alone =( I have a friend helping me out but she cant be here 24/7. I have a 28 lb dog who tends to pull on his leash. I have laundry. Im a bartender so although I don't need to lift heavy, I use my upper body 6-8 hours a shift. Rapid movements, on my feet, picking up bottles, pouring drinks etc. I can NOT be out of work more than 3 weeks without running out of income. And I cant avoid groceries and my poor dog either. Should I even get these implants? Please be detailed.

Thank you for your question.  I recommend a face to face examination as well as a detailed discussion with a surgeon who you are comfortable with and who is a board-certified Plastic Surgeon certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery. 

Breast Implants

Hi JellyBean,
We use the quick-recovery approach, so click on the web reference link below to have this explained and you can see the list of Quick-Recovery (Flash-Recovery or Rapid-Recovery) Breast Augmentation articles from peer-reviewed surgery journals.  It is a surgical procedure that uses special instruments and techniques to minimize tissue damage and avoid touching the ribs. It causes far less trauma to surrounding tissue than traditional approaches, and it dramatically reduces pain and recovery time. In published studies of BA patients, 95-percent of women interviewed after the procedure returned to normal daily activities within 24-hours. Quick-recovery BA is not a “gimmick.”  These specialized techniques, which actually speed recovery and get you back to your daily routine, kids and work, are published in our plastic surgery journals.  Because these PS journals are “peer-reviewed” and edited, they are the gold-standard in our field as being valid science. Therefore, these are sound techniques, not marketing hype.  Please figure out if your PS uses the quick recovery (flash recovery, fast recovery) approach.  See the link below. I believe you will do just fine, and my bartender patients report their tips doubled after a BA.Regarding the 350 Mod Plus:      First and foremost the implant should fit the dimensions of your breast and tissue cover. Balancing the implant to your over-all body shape and tissue cover is essential.    The main thing is to have the diameter of the implant fit the diameter of your breast "foot-print".
 Higher profile implants tend to have a smaller diameter.  Higher is really a marketing term, but often translates into the same volume implant with a narrower base.  Saline implants actually tend to decrease in diameter as they are inflated!  The average size chosen over our last 7,000 breast implants was “350cc”.  BUT, 90% of our patients tell us they wish they were bigger a year after BA.  (We will see you every year for routine checks at no charge.) It’s like your mind incorporates the "new you" into your own self-image over a period of time. Cup size estimates can be misleading, but I generally advise patients
that they will experience an increase of approximately one cup size per 200 cc.
 You can try on implants in the office by placing them into a special bra.  The implant is also flattened somewhat when under the muscle, so it is a good idea to bump it up a bit. Approximately 1-ounce (25cc) is added to the final volume to account for
flattening of the implant in the partial sub-muscular pocket.  Once you decide on a size you like, then add on 25cc, because in real life the implant will be flattened slightly by your
tissues.  Multiple measurements need to be taken to fit an implant to your exact anatomy.  Have your surgeon's office show you the charts of the implant dimensions for the various profiles of silicone and saline from the manufacturer.  Then you and your surgeon
can piece together the puzzle by matching your measurements, with your wishes,
versus your tissue cover and the available implants to arrive at
a surgical plan.All the best, Dr. Joe

Breast aug and activity

I usually have patients wait about 3-4 weeks before going back to light aerobics and then 6-8 weeks for heavy lifting and exertion.

Time off after breast augmentation

I would recommend that you take as much time off as you can, however realistically, everyday obligations get in the way of this.  Do the best you can with your everyday tasks.  There will never be an ideal time with regards to day-to-day obligations.   I recommend an in-office examination as well as a detailed discussion with a surgeon who you are comfortable with and who is a board-certified Plastic Surgeon certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery. Best wishes! Dr. Desai
Harvard Educated, Beverly Hills & Miami Beach Trained, Double-Board Certified Plastic Surgeon

Breast augment recovery

I understand your concerns.  Most patients return to work one week after surgery but you may want to take more time off. I would be more concerned if you were lifting crates of glasses or liquor. If this is not the case, then you should do well. In terms of groceries, you may want to try an online service or stock up on staples in advance. I don't think the dog poses a serious problem if you keep him/her on a short leash. As for implant size, without knowing your height and weight, it's impossible to state whether the proposed implants are too large or appropriate. Best wishes.

It sounds like you are a good candidate for breast enhancement with breast implants. You need someone with you the first night after surgery. You can get a dog walking service for the first 10 days after surgery. You will be able to return to work in 7 to 10 days providing you do not have to carry trays of drinks. These details need to be approved by your plastic surgeon. I hope you tried on the implants in a tight bra and had Vectra 3 Dimensional imaging to get a feel for your probable new look. Good luck...

Larry Weinstein, MD
Morristown Plastic Surgeon

Thank you for your inquiry. I assume you are asking these questions because your surgeon didn't answer them or you didn't get adequate answers. If you were my patient and you described this situation, I would have a serious discussion with you about what to expect at every stage postoperatively and when you could do what. The biggest thing you could do to ruin your surgery and have a complication is to lift or strain before you are supposed to. Know exactly what you should be doing every day postoperatively or don't have the surgery, in my opinion.(BTW, 350 sounds large to me).Best of luck.
Leland Deane MD FACSNew York, NYGarden City, NY

Leland Deane, MD
Long Island Plastic Surgeon