My BA was 1/6/16. Why does my right breast look like a torpedo? It's cone shaped and feels hard around the nipple. why? (Photo)

Moderate profile silicone Allergan gel implants. My left was 300CC and my right was 360CC. It's so asymmetrical and doesn't look like it will change. I hate the way they look when I'm naked. (Disclosure: I have NF1) This plastic surgeon did electro-decessation to remove my skin lesions/neurofibromas at the same time. What do I do? Is this normal? My PA said not to worry and keep massaging but this doesn't feel or look like like a quick fix.

My BA was 1/6/16. Why does my right breast look like a torpedo? It's cone shaped and feels hard around the nipple. why?

You are going to see the difference just after the procedure. However it is necessary to wait for some time in order to see the final result. After the breast augmentation operation the recovery period depends on your physical status, age, general health and condition mainly. The operation itself does not take too long therefore you receive a mild anesthesia. Since the anesthesia that you receive is mild; you will not have problems associated with anesthetic agents after the operation. This is especially important and can be achieved with only a team of plastic surgeons like we have. After the operation you will be advised to wear a corset in order to reduce the edema. You can start to do your daily activities just after the operations but we do not advise you heavy lifting, running or activities that require excess physical activity. The more you rest, the faster your recovery will be.

Turkey Plastic Surgeon

Breast asymmetry postoperatively

Thank you for your question and sorry to hear about your asymmetry.  A full evaluation along with preoperative photos would be necessary to make serious recommendations.  That being said, the flatness at the base of your one breast may be due to inadequate release of the pectoralis muscle and/or opening of the inferior pole breast tissue.  I suggest a second opinion from a board certified plastic surgeon to discuss your options if your original surgeon is unable or unwilling to fix the problem.  Best wishes!

Nicholas Tarola, MD

Needs a pre op photo

Without a preoperative photograph to compare to, it's difficult to assess whether this asymmetry was present preoperatively and not completely corrected. If by this amount of time the bottom has not rounded out due to descent of the implant, it probably won't with more time. A secondary touchup with the placement of a larger implant on the right and scoring of the breast parenchyma from the nipple to the crease with a concomitant removal of the old bottom half of the capsule would be something I would try at this point in time. Best of luck.

Marc J. Salzman, MD, FACS

Why does my right breast look like a torpedo? It's cone shaped and feels hard around the nipple. why?

Thanks for your question.  After nine months I would be hopeful that you be pleased with your surgical result at this point in time and if not you do need to be evaluated.  Some patients have significant asymmetries in their breasts before surgery and the need to place a larger implant on that side results in a different shape and feel.  Another possibility is that you develop some capsule contracture causing the firmness and distortion although I think this is somewhat less likely.  Seek a follow-up appointment with your plastic surgeon and if necessary get a second opinion but having your preoperative photographs available would be helpful in any evaluation.  Good luck and best wishes.

Jon A Perlman M.D., FACS
Diplomate, American Board of Plastic Surgery
Member, American Society for Aesthetic Plastic Surgery (ASAPS)
Beverly Hills, California

Jon A. Perlman, MD

The right breast looks constricted below the nipple. In time with massage and posibly ma Bando it should fill out round as implant drops. Discuss with your surgeron

Breast constriction

Please post a pre-op photo for consideration as this may have been an underlying condition which became more evident after augmentation.

Robert L. Kraft, MD, FACS

Breast evaluation

Hello and thank you for your question. I recommend you see your primary surgeon and share your concerns.  You appear to have some lower pole constriction.  If your primary does not feel confident in their ability to fix this, then seek a second opinion. 

Best wishes and good luck.

Richard G. Reish, M.D.
Harvard-trained plastic surgeon

Richard G. Reish, MD

Pictures

It would be helpful to see what the breasts looked like before surgery. Often this is part of the issue with a breast that may have been constricted or lacked volume in certain quadrants of the breast.

Without seeing a before picture, and an in person evaluation, it is hard to comment. I suspect your breasts may have had a similar shape before surgery. 

Karol A. Gutowski, MD, FACS

Breast asymmetry

Thank you for your question. Based solely on your pictures it appears that you have some capsular tightness in the lower pole of the right breast. It would be helpful to see a pre op picture. You possibly would need capsulotomy.  Hope this helps.

Jon E. Rast, MD
Kansas City Plastic Surgeon