BA: I'm on my fourth day of having a BA - My breasts are very high and hard, is this normal?

Plus I don't have a surgical bra just a strap that has to stay .. I only remove the strap when I shower.. and it still hurts

Breast Implants High and hard post op

It is normal for breast implants to feel firm and to have more fullness  in the top of the breast after breast augmentation this will gradually improve over the first one to two months as the skin of the lower breast  and muscle of to relax.  As this happens your breasts will become softer and more natural in appearance.  Best of luck with your recovery.  

Raymond Jean MD Board Certified Plastic Surgeon Bryn Mawr PA 19010

Philadelphia Plastic Surgeon

Implants at 4 days out

At four days out you are very early in the healing process and need to allow the breast swelling to subside and for the implants to settle.

Too early

At 4 days postop it is quite common to experience the issues that you are noticing. It takes 6 months for the implants to slowly settle into their new pocket that was created. Also, swelling, which contributes to the hard feeling, takes at least 3 months to improve. Therefore, it is very important to closely follow up with your surgeon to ensure everything is progressing satisfactorily.

Dr. Ravi Somayazula

Ravi Somayazula, DO
Sugar Land Plastic Surgeon

Post Breast Augmentation

All that you describe following your breast augmentation at this stage is completely normal.  The chest muscles contracting after surgery cause the implants to stay in a higher position temporarily. As the chest muscles relax and along with the breast massage the implants generally drop into the appropriate pocket that was made during surgery.  I have seen it take up to three months for this to occur.  Swelling and firmness initially are normal and again with time this will diminish and soften.  This is a process of weeks to months rather than days.  It is not a problem that you are not wearing a bra per se as  you do not want anything that is going to push up the implants and keep them from dropping.  However a supportive sports bra without underwire can provide comfort as long as it is not too tight.

Breast augmentation: I'm on my fourth day of having a BA - My breasts are very high and hard, is this normal?

Thank you for your question.  Your very early in your recovery and it is very normal for breast implants to be high and firm during the first week or 2 after surgery.  Please follow your surgeon's advice and give yourself a chance to heal.

Vascular surgeon when you may begin breast implant displacement exercises. For more information please read below:

Breast augmentation recovery

Thank you for asking about your breast augmentation.

• Assuming your implants are under the muscle, it is normal for the implants to be too high and to be firm.
  • I do not use a strap because I think it is very uncomfortable.
  • Let your surgeon know about the pain -
  • Usually by this time, the pain is subsiding, although not gone entirely
  • But it depends on the size of the implant.

Always consult a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon. Best wishes, Elizabeth Morgan MD PHD

Breast augmentation

It is important to address any post-operative concerns with your plastic surgeon.  You are still very early on in your recovery. Swelling after a breast augmentation occurs with 100% of patients, eventually the swelling will go down and your breasts will drop into their pockets causing there to be more fullness at the bottom.  If the breasts are too high, the use of a breast binder is beneficial to add downward pressure. I would continue to wear your strap and ask your doctor when you can begin performing your breast massages. Your doctor may also prescribe you a Medrol dose pack (steroid) to help with the swelling. I hope this helps.
Best of luck in your recovery!

James Fernau, MD, FACS
Board Certified ENT
Board Certified Plastic Surgery
Member of ASPS, ASAPS, ISAPS, The Rhinoplasty Society, AAFPRS, OTO/HNS, ASLMS, International Federation for Adipose Therapeutics & Science

James Fernau, MD, FACS
Pittsburgh Plastic Surgeon

Healing after surgery

You are very early in the healing process. It is completely normal for the implants to be high and very hard. You just had an implant placed so the tissue is tight and in a spasm right now trying to get used to that implant. Over the next few weeks to months the implants will drop and soften. Stay patient and good luck with healing.

Francis Johns, MD
Greensburg Plastic Surgeon

Breast implant drop

Generally speaking, especially early in the post-operative phase of healing, it is not uncommon to have one or both implants appear to be high up by the clavicle. Although the “pocket” may be made correctly, the implant may not have access to the bottom for several reasons. If the overlying muscle or skin is tight, this will move the implant to the path of least resistance which is up and towards the underarm where there is little or no pressure. As the pressure relaxes, the implant will drop down to the bottom. Smooth implants, because their surface is slippery, may move faster downward than a textured implant with its rough surface. Because these variables mentioned above can be different for each side, it's not uncommon that one side will drop faster to the bottom of the pocket than the other. Similarly, sometimes one breast will swell more than the other or be more painful than the other early in the postoperative phase. After the first month or two, usually things will even out. It wouldn't be, in my practice, until four months or so has passed that I would entertain going back to the operating room to “touch up” the location of the breast implant in the pocket. Sometimes specialized bras or straps as well as massage and stretching protocols may be helpful in allowing this process to happen more quickly. Each plastic surgeon will have different thoughts on what the best protocol is for the patient. Your operating plastic surgeon will be your best resource to have this information passed on to you. I recommend that you faithfully follow up and follow the instructions of your chosen plastic surgeon. Congratulations on your surgery, and good luck on an uneventful recovery.

Marc J. Salzman, MD, FACS

Four days post-op and breast implants are high: is this normal?

It is normal for the implants to appear high on the chest within the first few weeks after breast augmentation.  Your tissues are being stretched by the implants and it will take time for relaxation to occur which will allow the appearance to improve.  With time the implants will appear to be in a lower and ideal position.  Don't worry and good luck.

John Zavell, MD, FACS
Toledo Plastic Surgeon