Can I avoid a Breast lift if I increase my current implant size? (photos)

I currently have 410 cc's and had them done six years ago. This passed year the saggy look has me thinking about what to do....? I definitely want to go with a high profile implant and larger, over 500 cc's. By doing so, do I also need a lift or will the high profile & larger take care of the drooping? I'm really not looking forward to the scars the lift causes but if that is the only way, then I have a decision to make.

Implants

If you chose larger and more projecting implants, you would likely get some improvement to the droop. If you want full correction, you will need to accept the additional scars. Best wishes. 

Reston Plastic Surgeon

Implants and a lift

Implants do not really lift the breast to any great extent.  If you need a lift then some form of breast lift procedure will be required.

Breast implant exchange and lift

Hello and thank you for the question and the photos. If you are considering an exchange, a 410 to 500 cc implant represents a moderate change. Most exchange patients who want to see a bigger size will opt for at least 100 to 150 cc increase in size. the typical push up type padded bra will add that much or more to the visual size of the breast. You should do the rice test at home to see how much added volume you are desiring. 

Take a pair of nylons, fill each with dry rice ( 1 ounce = approx 30 cc ) and wear that inside your bra for a day. It will give you a good idea of how much added volume will make you feel. 

A larger HP implant may help with sagging but in truth, any improvement tends to be very very mild. Your photos show good nipple position and mild sag if any. Perhaps a side view photo would better demonstrate the need for a lift. All surgery carries some pros and cons. In cases where the degree of sagging is mild, I am not convinced the benefit outweighs the scars. 

An in person consultation would be the best option to help answer your questions. You should have several consultations with board certified plastic surgeons before making any final decisions. 

As always, best to be healthy, no smoking, and make sure any health concerns you have are managed by your primary care md. 

Best to you.

Bennett Yang, MD
Rockville Plastic Surgeon

Breast implant exchange

Thank you for your question and posting appropriate pictures. You would have to be examined and discuss options of enlarging your breasts, typically with textured high-profile silicone implants which may provide some lift to your current shape. 

Kevin Tehrani, MD, FACS

Implant increase for sagging breasts

Opting for larger implants will ultimately result in more sagging.   Many write about the mastopexy scarring but it is important to recognize that most photos posted are within the first year and do not reflect the fading that will occur over time.

Robert L. Kraft, MD, FACS

Bigger implants vs lift

Although larger implants can provide a subtle lift, careful consideration must be made of this approach.  Upsizing implants is not without its risks.  Larger implants can thin the tissues, and lead to even more sagging, potentially necessitating additional surgery in the future.  In order to get a qualified, expert opinion on your surgical options and expectations, always have a in-person consultation with a plastic surgeon certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery.

Keith M. Blechman, MD
New York, NY

Keith M. Blechman, MD

Can I avoid a Breast lift if I increase my current implant size?

Thank you for the question and picture.  It is not possible to provide you with meaningful advice based on the sinlge photograph. You may wish to add frontal/side view photographs, with your arms by your side, with your next post.

Ultimately, you will do best seeking consultation with board-certified plastic surgeons who can demonstrate significant experience achieving the types of outcomes you would be pleased with. Then, communicate your goals carefully as well. The use of computer imaging and goal photographs can be very helpful during this communication process. Through this consultation process, you and your plastic surgeon will come up with a good plan to achieve an outcome that you will be pleased with.  Best wishes.

Changing implant size

Your breasts are not necessarily that droopy; it is true that by increasing your size and changing the profile you may experience some limited lifting of the breasts.  If you are very concerned with scars, then do this change; it won't be perfect but will be better.  

Allen M. Doezie, MD

Breast Lift with Implant Size Increase

The objective of a Breast Lift (#Mastopexy) is to improve the shape and position of the breast without reducing their size. It is used especially for breasts which sag or droop (#ptosis) as a result of aging, weight loss, pregnancy, or breastfeeding. However, many women report more satisfaction if an implant is used at the time of #mastopexy. The implants further shape their breasts, restoring superior fullness or volume which may be decreased over time.

In regards to implants alone, this is usually said to be mistake by patients reflecting back at the decision. Most breasts will look larger and more droopy with solely implants. They will sag more and sooner, due to the sudden and excess weight. At times it's possible for a “Snoopy” breast or double bubble to develop as a result.  A Breast Lift can also be done while having existing Breast Implants and can be used to correct #asymmetry. 

It is imperative you select a plastic surgeon who is #board-certified and has a great deal of experience with breast #augmentation and breast #lifts. Plastic surgeons who have specialized in breast and cosmetic surgery are suitable to perform your breast procedure. Aside from checking board-certification, it is suggested that you look at before and after photos of the surgeons actual patients, and read patient reviews. Gathering all of this information will help you make a well-informed decision.

Size versus lift

So many people are concerned about the lifting scars and will try for size. This is a mistake in many cases. Shape is so much more important. Larger implants just make the breast more saggy at your stage. better go lift and downsize.

Mark Eberbach, MD