Is arm liposuction going to help me get rid of excess skin on my arms?

so i have lost almost 45kgs (99pounds) in 2 year and now I'm not happy with the excess skin on my arms, so my doctor decided to do me an arms liposuction only. But I'm worried that if she did that my excess skin will only get worse, she says that if i did the liposuction ill wear some kind of bandage and that will somehow get rid of the excess skin. Is that true? i could really use some advice.

Liposuction is not a treatment for excess skin.

Congratulations on your weight loss. You are right to be concerned about your excess skin. Liposuction targets stubborn fat deposits, but having liposuction will not remove or shrink the skin that’s often left behind after weight loss. There is no compression garment that can remove or reduce extra skin. It sounds like you may benefit from having an arm lift, which is a relatively simple procedure designed to treat loose arm skin. Please make sure that you see a board-certified plastic surgeon who is experienced in performing these procedures.

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Will liposuction remove excess skin...

In general liposuction does not remove any excess skin hanging from your arms. The result depends on your skin's ability to contract, and significant weight loss patients usually do not have great skin tightening. You may need an armlift at the same time, so if you are not sure, just go on another consultation or two from an experienced plastic surgeon and you should get some good opinions.

Will liposuction remove excess skin...

Arm Lipo vs. Excision

There is only a relatively small amount of skin retraction after liposuction. Since you have lost almost 45kgs (99pounds), that excess skin will most likely not improve and may be made worse with liposuction. You may need excisional surgery such as a brachioplasty (arm lift). 

Best to see a board certified plastic surgeon with experience in treating brachioplasty and arms with liposuction. 

John A. Perrotti, MD

Arm Lipo vs. Excision

John A. Perrotti, MD

Skin excess

liposuction will not remove the excess skin that you have after your massive weight loss. You will need a formal arm lift (brachioplasty) to address your excessive skin. You will have marginal skin retraction from  liposuction alone. 

Good luck

DrBurnett#realself100

Skin excess

Good luck

DrBurnett#realself100

Liposuction doesn't tighten loose skin

Hi.  While liposuction is excellent for debulking the fullness of the arm, it is not going to tighten loose hanging skin.  That requires an arm lift ("brachioplasty").  This can be done at the same sitting.

The trade-off with the brachioplasty is a long incisional scar.  Best to speak with your PS about this option.

Liposuction doesn't tighten loose skin

Hi-

You are 100% correct. Liposuction will only make your hanging skin worse. Sounds like you would benefit from an arm lift. It is a fairly simple operation that addresses that hanging unappealing skin. Be sure to find a board certified plastic surgeon to discuss the best option for you. Good Luck and congrats on the weight loss!!

Jordan P. Farkas, MD
Paramus Plastic Surgeon

Hi-

Jordan P. Farkas, MD
Paramus Plastic Surgeon

Lipo and loose skin

Wrong!  Liposuction in my opinion does not make the skin any signficantly tighter no matter which device is used.    It will decrease the overall fat volume in the subcutaneous plane.

Lipo and loose skin

Arm Lift vs. Liposuction--VASER Hi Definition Liposuction / Body Contouring --- ARM SCULPTING

This is tough to answer without pictures. For the triceps, you'll get the best results with hi definition arm contouring procedures in combination with ThermiRF in order to contour and also tighten the skin. However, with excess skin, surgical removal rather than compression would be necessary and can be preformed at the same time. I recommend getting a formal evaluation with a body contouring expert. Best, Dr. Emer.

Excess skin is not removed by liposuction

If you have lost a substantial amount of weight and have hanging skin (a/k/a batwings), then liposuction will merely worsen the situation.  There is no bandage or compression garment that would mysteriously rid you of the excess skin. There can be some skin retraction, but not enough after an amazing, 99 pound weight loss. I do not recommend under going liposuction first and then determining if you would need a brachioplasty unless and until you have been seen by a board certified plastic surgeon who has performed these procedures and can give you a personalized assessment.

Dr. Kraft

Dr. Kraft

S arm liposuction going to help me get rid of excess skin on my arms?

Congratulations on your 45 kg weight loss.  Without the benefit of pictures or face-to-face exam I can only tell you that generally speaking I would guess you are not a candidate for liposuction without brachioplasty.  Liposuction is perfect for someone with excess subcutaneous fat and reasonable skin elasticity but probably neither exists in your situation having lost that significant amount of weight.  Before proceeding, I would recommend that you get a second opinion since you are more likely a candidate for brachioplasty if you are willing to accept the surgical incisions to remove inches of excess skin.  Best wishes and good luck,

Jon A Perlman M.D., FACS
Diplomate, American Board of Plastic Surgery
Member, American Society for Aesthetic Plastic Surgery (ASAPS)
ABC-TV Extreme Makeover Surgeon
Beverly Hills, California

Jon A. Perlman, MD

Jon A Perlman M.D., FACS
ABC-TV Extreme Makeover Surgeon
Beverly Hills, California

Jon A. Perlman, MD