Is arm liposuction going to help me get rid of excess skin on my arms?

so i have lost almost 45kgs (99pounds) in 2 year and now I'm not happy with the excess skin on my arms, so my doctor decided to do me an arms liposuction only. But I'm worried that if she did that my excess skin will only get worse, she says that if i did the liposuction ill wear some kind of bandage and that will somehow get rid of the excess skin. Is that true? i could really use some advice.

Will liposuction remove excess skin...

In general liposuction does not remove any excess skin hanging from your arms. The result depends on your skin's ability to contract, and significant weight loss patients usually do not have great skin tightening. You may need an armlift at the same time, so if you are not sure, just go on another consultation or two from an experienced plastic surgeon and you should get some good opinions.

Arm Lipo vs. Excision

There is only a relatively small amount of skin retraction after liposuction. Since you have lost almost 45kgs (99pounds), that excess skin will most likely not improve and may be made worse with liposuction. You may need excisional surgery such as a brachioplasty (arm lift). 

Best to see a board certified plastic surgeon with experience in treating brachioplasty and arms with liposuction. 

John A. Perrotti, MD

Skin excess

liposuction will not remove the excess skin that you have after your massive weight loss. You will need a formal arm lift (brachioplasty) to address your excessive skin. You will have marginal skin retraction from  liposuction alone. 

Good luck

DrBurnett#realself100

Liposuction doesn't tighten loose skin

Hi.  While liposuction is excellent for debulking the fullness of the arm, it is not going to tighten loose hanging skin.  That requires an arm lift ("brachioplasty").  This can be done at the same sitting.

The trade-off with the brachioplasty is a long incisional scar.  Best to speak with your PS about this option.

Hi-

You are 100% correct. Liposuction will only make your hanging skin worse. Sounds like you would benefit from an arm lift. It is a fairly simple operation that addresses that hanging unappealing skin. Be sure to find a board certified plastic surgeon to discuss the best option for you. Good Luck and congrats on the weight loss!!

Jordan P. Farkas, MD
Paramus Plastic Surgeon

Lipo and loose skin

Wrong!  Liposuction in my opinion does not make the skin any signficantly tighter no matter which device is used.    It will decrease the overall fat volume in the subcutaneous plane.

Arm Lift vs. Liposuction--VASER Hi Definition Liposuction / Body Contouring --- ARM SCULPTING

This is tough to answer without pictures. For the triceps, you'll get the best results with hi definition arm contouring procedures in combination with ThermiRF in order to contour and also tighten the skin. However, with excess skin, surgical removal rather than compression would be necessary and can be preformed at the same time. I recommend getting a formal evaluation with a body contouring expert. Best, Dr. Emer.

Excess skin is not removed by liposuction

If you have lost a substantial amount of weight and have hanging skin (a/k/a batwings), then liposuction will merely worsen the situation.  There is no bandage or compression garment that would mysteriously rid you of the excess skin. There can be some skin retraction, but not enough after an amazing, 99 pound weight loss. I do not recommend under going liposuction first and then determining if you would need a brachioplasty unless and until you have been seen by a board certified plastic surgeon who has performed these procedures and can give you a personalized assessment.

Dr. Kraft

S arm liposuction going to help me get rid of excess skin on my arms?

Congratulations on your 45 kg weight loss.  Without the benefit of pictures or face-to-face exam I can only tell you that generally speaking I would guess you are not a candidate for liposuction without brachioplasty.  Liposuction is perfect for someone with excess subcutaneous fat and reasonable skin elasticity but probably neither exists in your situation having lost that significant amount of weight.  Before proceeding, I would recommend that you get a second opinion since you are more likely a candidate for brachioplasty if you are willing to accept the surgical incisions to remove inches of excess skin.  Best wishes and good luck,

Jon A Perlman M.D., FACS
Diplomate, American Board of Plastic Surgery
Member, American Society for Aesthetic Plastic Surgery (ASAPS)
ABC-TV Extreme Makeover Surgeon
Beverly Hills, California

Jon A. Perlman, MD

Liposuction or Armlift after massive weight loss?

Thank you for your question and congratulations on your weight loss!

In the absence of a physical exam and any supplemental photos, it is difficult to say with any certainty whether or not liposuction alone will afford you the cosmetic result you desire.  When it comes to the arms it is important to determine whether there is simply some excess fat causing the arms to appear loose or larger, or if there is excess skin that requires resection and removal.  Patients can expect some slight skin retraction with liposuction alone, however, if a patient has a decent amount of lax or excess skin pre-op they are generally a better candidate for an armlift or brachioplasty.  Unfortunately, brachioplasties do require incisions that can be visible and it is important that patients electing to have an armlift understand and accept the risks of visible scarring.  

If you are concerned with your operating surgeons recommendation for liposuction alone, I would definitely recommend following up with your surgeon in advance to discuss these concerns and what you can expect result wise.  Compression garments post-operatively will help to reduce some swelling, but it will not significantly impact the amount of skin retraction you can or should expect in and of themselves.  I can not stress to you enough the importance of consulting with only board certified plastic surgeons who are well experienced with both liposuction and brachioplasty procedures.  As a massive weight loss patient, there is a good chance that there is too much laxity of your arms to expect that liposuction alone would afford you the results you desire.  I hope this helps and I would encourage you to address your concerns with your board certified plastic surgeon.