Do I need an Armlift or can I just get Liposuction in my arms? (Photos)

My weight has always been up down, but my stubborn arms always stayed the same. A few years back I got a little liposuction in my arms and abdomen, I saw a slight difference but nothing significant. Once I had my son, naturally I gained a little more weight and my arms are even bigger. Ideally, I want to get liposuction in my arms but I'm not sure if my skin is firm enough so I am thinking an arm lift might be my only option. I would rather have a scar than excess skin. Need some advice.

Arm lift or liposuction?

Thank you for asking about your arm lift or liposuction.

• Based on your photos, you appear to be a good candidate for am arm liposuction.
  • The photo doesn't look as though you have loose skin but -
  • An exam is the only way to be sure.
  • You may do best with liposuction and an arm lift at the same time -
  • So to find out which is better for you, have a consultation so you can be seen in person!

Always see a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon. Best wishes  - Elizabeth Morgan MD PHD FACS

Liposuction versus an armlift

Good question, thanks for the photos. The decision usually comes down to the amount and quality of your excess skin. If after pregnancy and weight loss your skin still has good elasticity and few stretch marks then you will likely be a good candidate for liposuction alone. If on the other hand your skin feels thin and lacks the support then a combination with liposuction and skin removal to tighten would be the way to go. One question you can answer for your self is, when I lose weight and my arms get smaller does the skin shrink or tighten at the same time too?

Jennifer Geoghegan, MD

Arm contour

Hello and thank you for your question. The key to your question is your level of skin elasticity.  With good skin elasticity, you could have a nice result from liposuction.  With poor skin elasticity, liposuction is not a good idea.  Based on your photograph, you may be a good candidate for liposuction, but only an in-person physical examination could tell for sure.  Make sure you specifically look at before and after pictures of real patients who have had this surgery performed by your surgeon and evaluate their results.  The most important aspect is to find a surgeon you are comfortable with. I recommend that you seek consultation with a qualified board-certified plastic surgeon who can evaluate you in person.

Best wishes and good luck.

Richard G. Reish, M.D.
Harvard-trained plastic surgeon

Richard G. Reish, MD

Liposuction versus brachioplasty

It appears to me that you still have good elasticity in your arms. I would recommend liposculpture versus a brachioplasty.

Brett E. Stompro, MD
Bay Area Plastic Surgeon

Am I a good candidate for arm liposuction?

It is difficult to make accurate recommendations regarding surgery without the opportunity to perform an examination.  Judging by your photographs however I think you would be a good candidate for liposuction.  It does not appear that you have a significant amount of loose skin.  Good luck

John J. Edney, MD
Omaha Plastic Surgeon

Arm lift or Liposuction

Thank you for your question and photos. It looks like you could be a candidate for liposuction, however, to be sure a physical examination would be necessary. With good skin quality,  liposuction can remove the excess fat and the skin will follow. If your skin quality is loose, liposuction will only make it worse.  Brachioplasty or (Arm Lift) tightens the arm by removing both skin and fat. To find out what would be best for your unique needs, schedule a consultation with a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon.  Best of Luck.

Options for arm

Thank you for your question.  Based on your photos, you would be a good candidate for liposuction of your arms.  If you feel that you have some residual excess skin near your arm pit, a limited scar arm lift can also be performed for that.  Be sure to consult with an experienced board certified plastic surgeon.  Good luck! 

Zachary Farris, MD, FACS

Arm lift or liposuction?

Thank you for your question. It's a good question that is relevant to a lot people. From what I can see in the photos, I think that liposuction alone is likely the better option. There's always some chance that the skin won't retract as expected and that an arm lift performed as a secondary procedure would be beneficial. Although it wouldn't be ideal to have this done in stages, it's more important that you avoid an unnecessary arm lift and the associated scar. With the added advantage of a physical examination, your local plastic surgeon will probably be able to reassure you that liposuction is best option.

Owen Reid, MD
Richmond Plastic Surgeon

Arm lift or liposuction?

Based on the photos you've provided, I think you are a better candidate for liposuction than a brachioplasty.  It would be necessary to examine you in person, so I recommend you seek consultation with a board certified plastic surgeon.

Jeffrey D. Wagner, MD

Arm lift

Thank you for your question, based on these photos It appears you may benefit from  liposuction with arm lift, an in person consultation is recommended to better evaluate you. Consult with a board certified PS, best of luck!