Areola reduction with breast lift revision. Any suggestions? (photos)

I had a breast lift in July of 2015, I had some small wound openings and some slight bottoming out which has left me large high areola and large scars underneath my breast. My question is, would you recommend a revision? And if I get a revision, what additional risks would an areola reduction add to my surgery? How likely is nipple necrosis? I'm very happy with size and shape, but not nipple placement (they stick out of bras and sometimes clothing) or scarring underneath. Thank you for your time

Mastopexy Revision

It appears that you have healed fully but would benefit from a revision. Indeed your NAC's are higher than desired and this may be remedied with lower pole/skin excision. Likely this would not have to be a significant undertaking. Perhaps even done in the office.

Consult with your plastic surgeon to formulate the best plan.

Mastopexy revision

It looks like you could benefit from a revision.  It appears that you might have some glandular ptosis recurrence.  Best of luck.

Areola Reshaped After Surgery

Depending on your procedure it is likely that there was some reshaping of your areolae completed during surgery.  The procedure is done on an outpatient basis under intravenous sedation and local or general anesthesia. As mentioned above there are a variety of techniques for these operations.  Lollipop lift (vertical lift), donut (periareola) lift, Benelli lift, crescent lift, anchor lift (inverted T). Most commonly, we prefer the lollipop or donut lift because of the shape, small scars and easier healing. Although the “anchor-shape” or inverted “T” incision is still more popular in the United States, it represents an older technique with extensive scarring and a less optimal result in many cases. These newer techniques are utilized in the vast majority of cases, the rare exception being extremely large breasts. The nipple-areola complex is repositioned higher, the excess skin is removed, and the breast is reshaped in a pleasing contour and in a more normal position.

The crescent lift removes a small amount of skin at the top of the areola. We find that there is very little lift and the areola becomes oval in shape and distorted with this method.

The Benelli lift as performed by most surgeons is just the donut lift, removing a donut shaped piece of areola and skin then using a #Pursestring or double purse-string suture to tighten the skin.  A true Benelli actually will expose much of the breast through this incision and then the breast itself is shaped and lifted with sutures.  This is a more complex procedure and is often not done as describe by Dr. Benellil.

Breast lift revision

Thank you for your question.  Your photos demonstrate high nipple positions and pseudoptosis.  If you were to have a revision, the areolas can be reduced in size and an ellipse of skin/tissue can be excised at the lower pole along the breast crease which would enhance the overall appearance and lower the nipple positions.  Good luck.

Zachary Farris, MD, FACS

It appears you would benefit from a revision to the lower pole of the breasts.  Addressing this would bring the areaolas to a more central location on the breast mound.  To minimize scarring we have had success using Embrace products.  

Camille Cash, MD