Any alternatives to liposuction for the neck of a non-overweight male?

I am a male with BMI of 19.8 but my neck is not contoured well at all. Would lipo be a good idea or are there other procedures out there to get a nicely contoured neck?

UAL cervical facial

Please seek an in person consultation, you may be a candidate for simple liposuction of the area. Liposuction of the cervical facial area is usually done in one hour under local IV sedation. In my practice in the San Francisco Bay Area I have come to the conclusion that the happiest patients are those that have realistic expectation on what a procedure will and won’t do for them. Good luck! 

Dean Vistnes,M.D.
Vistnes Plastic Surgery

#realself #drdeanvistnes #liposuction #cervicalfacial

Bay Area Plastic Surgeon

Liposuction alternative for non-overweight male

Hi there, 

Without pictures it's a bit difficult to tell if your contour issue is soft tissue or due to underlying anatomy. From your description of it, it could be a bit of both. 

the anatomy of the neck is actually highly varied, and individuals with a well defined chin and neck simply have more favorable placement of the underlying bony architecture. However, some individuals can have a heavy submental/chin area due to deposits of fat, and these patients are fantastic candidates for Kybella injections. 

The number of treatments vary based on the individual, and I would recommend you see an appropriately trained physician for these treatments. 

Haena Kim, MD
Walnut Creek Facial Plastic Surgeon

Neck Contouring

There are many options to help contour the neck. Non- invasively you could do a procedure with radiofrequency (Infini or Protégé) or ultrasound (ultherapy). You can also inject Kybella into the submentum and eliminate some fat cells. Depending on your age and the laxity of the skin and if any neck bands are involved, a neck lift or a lower facelift will also prodcue results. I would recconmend seeing an oculoplastic surgeon to dicuss all of your options.

Alan B. Brackup, MD, FACS
Philadelphia Oculoplastic Surgeon

Neck Skin and Platysmal Bands -- VASER Hi Def Liposuction/ThermiRF, Venus Legacy/Thermage/Ultherapy, Botox/Dysport

Please post photos for further evaluation and treatment advice. There are many alternative options to lipo including Thermage/Ultherapy, Botox, lasers and fillers. I suggest seeing a cosmetic dermatologist for an in person consultation. Best, Dr. Emer.

Neck

When liposuction alone is insufficient in the low fat neck, a submentoplasty where the neck muscles are tightened is the only other effective neck contouring option.

Many options for neck contouring available

Hi Zerotopah.  Lipo, Kybella injections or Coolsculpting are good options to reduce any excess fat under the skin but above your neck/platysma muscles.  If your muscle is banding, then surgery is needed to restore the muscle continuity.  If your skin is lax, consider the different technologies for skin tightening-ultrasound, lasers, radiofrequency, microneedling, etc.  Be sure to seek consultation with an ABPS certified Plastic surgeon-based upon your examination, available recovery time, etc., they will guide you further.  Best wishes,

Neck contour

Hello and thank you for your question. There are many options for neck contour improvement.  I have this same issue in many men with your BMI. The most important aspect is to find a surgeon you are comfortable with. I recommend that you seek consultation with a qualified board-certified plastic surgeon who can evaluate you in person.

Best wishes and good luck.

Richard G. Reish, M.D.
Harvard-trained plastic surgeon

Richard G. Reish, MD

Alternatives to neck Liposuction

A full set of photographs are required to make a determination about  surgical alternatives which might include liposuction, a neck lift, or some of the other noninvasive treatments. Some patients require a chin implant when there is a significant weak chin profile.