How soon after a chin implant can a genioplasty be performed (and the implant removed)?

I went to have a consult with a surgeon to increase the width and vertical height of my chin. I requested a genioplasty. My surgeon however recommended a mittleman prejowl implant and said I could get the results I wanted from this. Against my better judgement I went along with it and sure enough, I got the width I wanted but not the height at all. Needless to say I am livid at what happened. How long will I have to wait before I can have the implant removed and the correct procedure done?

Chin Implant Replacement

Short of a true vertical lengthening chin implant, no preformed chin implant can create any significant vertical height. You can replace your chin implant with either a better designed one or an opening sliding genioplasty at any time.

Chin implant candidate versus genioplasty

Silastic chin implants are manufactured in a large variety of sizes and shapes, and can be custom carved according to the patient's unique anatomy.  Implantech manufactures a very special style chin implant that offers vertical height augmentation, so ask your surgeon about that particular implant.  The old implant can be removed and the new one placed under local anesthesia as an outpatient surgical procedure. A sliding  genioplasty is usually performed by an oral surgeon under general anesthesia in a hospital setting with an overnight hospital stay. This surgery is much more invasive and is usually done when patients have teeth  that do not fit appropriately. Sometimes, the upper and lower jaw has to be broken to get the teeth to fit together properly.  For more information and many examples of chin implants, please see the link and the video below

Chin implant removal

the sooner it is removed, better! Less scar formation around the implant makes it easier to remove. Sliding genioplasty can add width and height to your chin. Jaw surgery is another option. 

Majid Jamali, DMD
New York Oral & Maxillofacial Surgeon