After a full body lift, what is the skin tied down to? Is the skin sutured down to fascia or ligaments?

I was just wondering: after a full body lift, I know the upper body skin and lower body skin are obviously sutured together (thus creating an incision line) but how do you stop the newly closed skin from sliding around the body? Is it sutured down to the fascial covering the muscle? Or is the the only thing the skin is tied down to are the upper and lower portions of the skin itself?

The skin is attached to the underlying tissue naturally and those deeper tissues are also sutured together.

Fascia sutures

In the Lower Body lift operation, a flap of tissues is lifted from the muscles.  The musculature is left under and you place several layers of sutures to close  the different layers.  The is no only one suture line

Body lift

Hello and thank you for your question. Great question!   It depends on the type of body lift.  Often there are anchoring sutures to the fascia in order to try to prevent drifting  of the scar over time.   Make sure you specifically look at before and after pictures of real patients who have had this surgery performed by your surgeon and evaluate their results.  The most important aspect is to find a surgeon you are comfortable with. I recommend that you seek consultation with a qualified board-certified plastic surgeon who can evaluate you in person.

Best wishes and good luck.

Richard G. Reish, M.D.
Harvard-trained plastic surgeon

Richard G. Reish, MD