Acne scars / microdermabrasion? (Photo)

hi I was just wondering what kind of acne scars I have .. I've had 5 sessions of microdermabrasion which is helping a little bit as far as smoothing do you think microneedling would be beneficial? I really don't want to do anything serious as far as lasers or peels also do pics make your skin look worse? thanks for the advice in advance

Acne scars / microdermabrasion or microneedling?

Thank you for your photos and questions.  The microdermabrasion will not penetrate deep enough to help with smoothing your remaining acne scars.  Microneedling along with PRP(Platelet Rich Plasma), which provides growth factors, will provide the best improvement.  A series of 3-4 monthly treatments of microneedling with PRP would be your best option.  Be sure to see a board certified plastic surgeon for a consultation.  Best wishes. 

Oklahoma City Plastic Surgeon

Pitted scars

Dear steph1986:  In my experience, pitted scars do not respond in any permanent way to microdermabrasion. Acne will improve dramatically and pitted scars will improve with #CoolTouch, but the best improvement in pitted scars will be seen with #Microneedling with #PRP using the #Eclipse MicroPen.   All the best,  Dr. Clark

Sheryl D. Clark, MD

Microneedling For Acne Scars-Microdermabrasion For Maintaining

Hello Steph1986,

Absolutely microneedling with PRP for diminishing your acne scars. Microneedling is a controlled injury to the skin, the skin needs collagen to heal and immediately goes into repair mode aiding in collagen production. When the skin heals, it heals smooth. A series of 2-4 treatments spaced 4 weeks apart may be recommended. Microdermabrasion is great for maintaining your skin but you really need to get more agrressive to treat the acne scars. Best of luck!

Options to consider

Some options for you to consider would be profractional laser with micro laser peel or soft tissue fillers such as Belotero or Restylane to fill in the acne pitting.

Jill Foster, MD
Columbus Oculoplastic Surgeon

Acne scars

You have pitted acne scars which are difficult to treat.  Microdermabrasion will not affect them and neither will laser or peels. you should see a board certified dermatologist or plastic surgeon

Melvin Elson, MD
Nashville Dermatologist