How to achieve wider cheeks in proportion to jaw? (Photos)

I have a long, narrow face and in photos, my lower jaw appears chubby and wider than my cheeks resulting in a bottom heavy appearance. While I have a good amount of fat in my face, would fillers be able to create the appearance of a more protruded zygomatic arch (on the sides of my cheeks - below the temple)? If so what kind and how much? If fillers are not an option, would I be a candidate for cheek implants? Also, is there a way to decrease the chubby appearance of my lower jaw?

Doctor Answers 6


Fillers would be an excellent choice for treating the areas of your face that concern you. I would recommend finding a reputable injector and scheduling an evaluation.

Botox for facial contouring

Thank you for your photographs. A personal consultation is necessary prior to any solid recommendation, but I would consider using botox in your masseter muscle to narrow the lower portion of your face. This often adds nice balance to already existing cheeks! Make sure you find someone that has done this before! Good luck!

Anthony J. Wilson, MD
Portsmouth Physician
5.0 out of 5 stars 8 reviews

Filler for cheeks

Filler such as Voluma or Sculptra would be optimal for enhancing the zygomatic (cheek) area giving you the balance you are looking for. I would recommend seeing a board certified dermatologist or board certified facial plastic surgeon who specializes in fillers. Sometimes, if the jaw is wide, botox can be used to help contour the jaw. When you do your consultation, the physician can go over with you all the possible options to determine the best solution for you! Best of luck 

Lesley Rabach, MD
New York Facial Plastic Surgeon
5.0 out of 5 stars 11 reviews

Cheek Enhancement with Voluma

Dear Jessica3500:

Looking at your photos, I would recommend enhancing and slightly widening the appearance of your cheeks with a filler like Voluma.  All the best.

Fillers for volume

Fillers such as Voluma or Sculptra should be able to correct this for you.  It has to be carefully placed in those areas.  A formal consultation in person is necessary to determine the actual products and placement.  Best, Dr. Green

Cheek/Malar Augmentation

Hi Jessica3500,

Yes, filler can be used to augment and increase definition of your zygomatic arch.  If placed correctly and carefully it will provide you with a more prominent and well defined arch, and add some width to your face in that area.  This would suit your face nicely due to your prominent mandible and full lower face.  Cheek implants are an option, but I would personally recommend you trial filler first.  There are several hyaluronic acid based fillers which can be used in the arch area.  I typically use Restylane, but would recommend a consultation to make that determination.


Dr. Paquet

Christian Paquet, MD
Beverly Hills Physician
5.0 out of 5 stars 2 reviews

These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.