Lower abdomen swelling after Smart Liposuction.

I had smart lipo on my abdomen and flanks 2.5 weeks ago. I feel good- swelling is under control with a garment i purchased. Ive noticed the swelling is heading south, under my belly button area. I am sure its just gravity doing its job and wondering if this is common- feels a bit tender and soft to the touch. Loving the result so far- just a few dimples which i hope will smooth out- i know its early! Thanks in advance. 37 year old male.

Swelling Can Move, and That's OK

This is absolutely normal, and you're right to suspect that gravity is responsible for the descent. Swelling after liposuction can migrated around depending on how you sleep and if you’ve been upright or not.  You should see this effect reduce significantly over the next few weeks. Unless you notice the swelling getting worse, it's OK to wait until your next follow-up appointment to bring this up. Good luck with your recovery!

Spokane General Surgeon

Swelling following liposuction

Swelling a few weeks following liposuction is normal.  You will see final results at 3-6 months.  If you have any issues or concerns regarding your liposuction be sure to follow up with the physician who performed the procedure.  

Elena Vega, DO
New York General Surgeon

Post liposuction

At only 2 weeks post op, you certainly have swelling that will mask your results. The lumpiness, numbness and hardness after smartlipo or other types of liposuction typically persists at least 8 weeks after the surgery then slowly goes away. It can take 4-6 months to see your final result.

Dean Vistnes, M.D.
Vistnes Plastic Surgery
San Francisco Bay Area

#realself #drdeanvistnes #cervicalfacial #liposuction

M. Dean Vistnes, MD
Bay Area Plastic Surgeon

Lower Abdomen Swelling After SmartLIpo

At two and half weeks, swelling such as yours is normal and does indeed descend with gravity (since we are usually standing or sitting while awake). Mild tenderness is normal as well as the sensory nerves that have been temporarily affected by the procedure normalize. Also, mild firmness in the area especially in the area around and below the belly button (more common in men) is also to be expected and will go away on its own. Gentle massage (with the index and middle fingers in a circular motion) a few minutes a day will help speed its resolution. I am glad that you are already having a good result and I would expect it to improve as the swelling continues to diminish.

Christopher T. Chia, MD

Sounds like normal healing from lipo

Keep using your compression garment. Excess tenderness needs to be checked by your surgeon, but is probably normal.

Smartlipo swelling

Thank you for your question. Yes, this is perfectly normal. As you say, the swelling tends to follow gravity, so it is not uncommon for the lower abdomen and pubic areas become more swollen in the first few weeks. It sounds like you are off to a great result! Best wishes.

Paul J. Leahy, MD
Leawood Plastic Surgeon