Am I a candidate for Revision Rhinoplasty? (photos)

I really don't like the way my nose turned out. The middle vault looks more and more collapsed each day, my septum is deviated, i cannot breathe out of my left nostril at all, and my nose is so asymmetric that I look like a different person from the left and right. What are my options? One doc told me I need septal grafts

even if you are early on it looks like something is not right and you are likely to need a major revision and often grafts are needed.

Revision Rhinoplasty

It can take up to a year or more for healing and to see the final result from a rhinoplasty.  If it has already been over a year I would recommend to see a specialist in rhinoplasty to discuss your concerns.  It would also be helpful to bring any photos from prior to your previous surgery so your surgeon can better understand what was performed and your healing.

Jill Hessler, MD
Palo Alto Facial Plastic Surgeon

Revision rhinoplasty to correct nasal obstruction and collapsed mid vault

Based on your description and photos, I would recommend seeking out a consultation with an experienced, board-certified rhinoplasty surgeon who has experience with revision rhinoplasty and nasal surgery. Without knowing what was done at your original surgery, it is difficult to know exactly what may be going on, but the external deviation of your nose and issues with obstruction on the left side suggest that the septum is significantly deviated. Revision surgery may require use of additional cartilage grafting from the septum (if there is cartilage available), your ear, or possibly even rib cartilage. Good luck!

Sachin S. Pawar, MD
Milwaukee Facial Plastic Surgeon

Rhinoplasty candidate for spreader grafts

A revision rhinoplasty procedure and accomplished placement of spreader grafts in the mid vault of the nose to help build that area out on one side or both sides.  For more information and many examples, please see the link and  the video below

A nose that is crooked externally often has a deviated septum internally

The septum is the center of the nose. When it's off center (deviated), the entire nose can be crooked. Sometimes if the deviation of the septum is high, a straight nose can become crooked after primary rhinoplasty. I suggest you see an expert in revision rhinoplasty to discuss your options.

Steven J. Pearlman, MD

Revision rhinoplasty is a good idea only by an experienced rhinoplasty surgeon.

You have several significant problems that will require correction.  You have an asymmetric nose and it appears that the left middle vault is sunken in.  Septal cartilage grafts may or may not be needed.  It all depends on what had been done.  It would be best to have an experienced rhinoplasty surgeon evaluate you in person and give you an honest opinion.  Good luck!

Revision Rhinoplasty - Candidate?

If your original surgery was recent, you might still be in the healing phase with swelling obscuring some issues.  If you feel your result is not to your liking, I suggest you consult with your original surgeon.  Patient satisfaction is extremely important to a good plastic surgeon, and if he or she performed your surgery, it would be best to meet with him or her, and to discuss your concerns.  If your surgeon is not supportive -- which is rare, but it can happen -- then I suggest you find a board certified plastic surgeon with expertise in revision rhinoplasty.  

Am I a candidate for Revision Rhinoplasty?

I would recommend you seek an in person second opinion from a highly experienced board certified plastic surgeon.  Take a copy of your operative reports from past surgeries with you to this appointment.  Your medical records belong to you,and your surgeon should give you a copy on request.  If you had this surgery less than a year ago, your nose is still changing and healing.  Wait at least a year for a revision, if needed.

Robert E. Zaworski, MD

Revision rhino

Revision rhinoplasty typically involves getting cartilage from somewhere to rebuilt portions of the nose. You will need to wait approximately 1 year after your first surgery before most surgeons would consider a revision.