Am 58 Yrs old, I had a mini face lift when I was 50 , but now am not happy with my chin & neck its start to sag. Any suggestion?

my question is : can i do the mini face lift again , or this is not a good idea for the muscles in my face , that might hold me back from achieving the same natural result and look , like the first time i did it ...?!

Facelift

there are many different methods to performing a facelift. There are also many different techniques that go into a mini facelift. The truth is you could absolutely have the same operation again or something more aggressive if that is needed in the front of the neck. I would suggest finding a board-certified plastic surgeon and discussing the options based upon your goals. I would not so much worry about whether they call it a mini or full facelift.

Good luck!

Saint Louis Plastic Surgeon

Facelifts, especially mini-facelifts will not damage the muscle of the face or should hold you back from future surgery

A true mini-facelift is performed by lifting the skin a short distance and tightening the facial muscle called the SMAS with stiches. Afther 8 years, this will not damage or alter your facial muscles other than tighten them for a few years. You can have another facelift to restore a sagging neck and jawline, still look natural and as if its your first facelift.

Steven J. Pearlman, MD

Mini Lift vs. Full Lower Facelift?

Hello there.  Thank you for sharing and reaching out to the RealSelf Doctor community.  A typical "minilift" should give you anywhere from 7-10 years of result.  Minilifts are usually reserved for individuals in their late 40s to early 50s who need just a pull of their jawline and upper neck.  As a general statement, once one ages into their mid 50s and beyond, the neck tends to age significantly.  To correct this neck aging, typically one needs to have more of a formal lower facelift/necklift.  In this procedure, the muscles of the neck (platysma) and SMAS layer of the lower face will be tightened, along with the skin (to some degree).  It is standard practice to tighten the muscles of the face and neck, and is actually something you should seek during your search for a surgeon.  So long as performed technically well, this procedure can be repeated multiple times over the course of a lifetime. Hope this has been helpful to you.  Best, Doc L.

Paul Lanfranchi, DO, FAOCO
Las Vegas Facial Plastic Surgeon

Natural-Looking Results Still Possible After a Previous Facelift

Thank you for your question. Whether another mini facelift or some other technique is the appropriate treatment plan is something that should be decided after consulting with a certified plastic surgeon. But it is certainly likely that you can get the results you want without compromising the facial muscles. It is not uncommon for my Toronto patients to have a second and sometimes a third facelift over 30 to 40 years. It sounds like you want to avoid having a "worked on" appearance. Choosing an experienced facial plastic surgeon is the most important step in getting the desired results. Remember, a facelift addresses the mid- to lower face and may be the procedure that will help the most.

Marc DuPere, MD

Should I have a facelift?

Hi.  If you had a mini facelift 8 years ago and you are dissatisfied with your chin and neck, you might be more pleased with a facelift.  There is no picture to look at so I'm not sure if you mean your actual chin (correction - possible implant) or the skin/fat (correction - liposuction/facelift) beneath it.  The natural look is dependent on the skill and expertise of the surgeon and what you have to work with.  Your best bet is to have an in person consultation with a board certified, experienced plastic surgeon.  Good luck! 

Facelift

You may need a full facelift. A mini-facelift usually only treats the cheek and maybe the jowls a bit.  Best of luck. 

Mini facelift at 58?

is a complete waste of your money and time in my opinion. It is also unanatomic as your neck and face will have aged en bloc and I suspect will need addressing together. Mini facelifts are an easy sell but in my experience of patients seeking revision lead to disappointment. Of the 250 or so facelifts I have performed in the last 18 months, 4 have been mini's and oldest of those was 36. Good luck!

Dominic Bray, MBBS, FRCS
London Facial Plastic Surgeon

Facelift

Given your time frame (8 years) and your area of unhappiness (neck), my guess is that you would probably be happiest with the results from a full facelift. Although if you wanted another mini-lift, it would not adversely affect the muscles in your face. My advice would be to schedule a consultation with a board certified plastic surgeon in your area to discuss which your options. Hope this helps -- Dr. Nazarian

Sheila S. Nazarian, MD

8 years after a mini-facelift

Thanks for your question. A minifacelift tends to last 5-10 years. You are at the appropriate time for a second operation. In a secondary operation, placing tension on the deeper muscular layer tends to provide a much more lasting result. It also allows the skin to be re-draped without tension so healing is optimized to minimize any evidence of surgery. Without evaluating you or at least seeing a picture, it is hard to know whether a mini or a more developed secondary facelift is the correct operation for you.  At this point, having a consultation makes sense.

Benjamin C. Paul, MD

Can you get another facelift?

You certainly can have another procedure on your face and neck. If you had a mini facelift 8 years ago, perhaps things are sagging again. Without seeing photos of you then and now, it is impossible to know if this continued aging, or that your original mini facelift was to conservative. You should be seen by a board certified plastic surgeon and be evaluated. There is no risk in having an additional face and neck procedure. In fact, complications may even be lower in these secondary procedures.