5 weeks post Revision Rhinoplasty/septoplasty, crooked or swelling? (photos)

got a revision rhinoplasty/septoplasty done about 5weeks ago. i had cartilage that was showing on my lower nostril pre surgery, but it seems to still be there, also the nostril where the cartilage is i cant breath out of that well now. it seems that side is puffed out more as well, making my nose look a little crooked. do you think everything will go down or my surgery was a fail? after surgery i was bruised and more swollen on that side... also my profiles seem different on either side.

Rhinoplasty

At least in the photo it looks a lot better.  Further improvement may occur as the swelling subsides.  Best of luck..

Swelling after revision rhinoplasty

Thank you for your question.  The fluid channels, called lymphatics, generally reform between week 3 and week 8.  Frequently, the nose changes quite a bit during this time and each day may look different than the next.  Swelling during this period also makes it difficult to determine if a nose is crooked, asymmetric, big, etc.  I tell my patients, give it some more time.  Sometimes noses will stay crooked for 6 months before swelling starts to subside making the nose look straight.  The best thing to do is make a note of what you're seeing, discuss it openly with your surgeon, and give it more time and revisit the issue. 

Mike Majmundar, MD
Atlanta Facial Plastic Surgeon

Post op rhinoplasty

I hate to say it, but you have to give it time.  At 5 weeks, you still have considerable swelling, specially when its a revision rhinoplasty.  Revision noses will take longer to heal as the underlying scar tissue from previous surgery makes it such that it takes longer for the swelling to completely resolve - it may take another month or two for you to get to 80% of swelling resolution. For now, the best thing to do is to relax and take it easy - you will continue to notice changes in how the light hits certain aspects of your nose, peaks and shadows subtly changing, each and every week.  Keep track of the changes as they happen such that when you see your doc you all can have a discussion as far as what is happening, where it is heading, and if there is anything that needs to be touched up along the way.   I hope some of this helps! Rhinoplasty (certainly revision) can be both exciting and nerve wracking as a patient.  Best of luck!

Miguel Mascaro, MD
Delray Beach Facial Plastic Surgeon