3 weeks post op - is it possible during the healing process to experience increased asymmetry? (photos)

I had a breast augmentation 3 weeks ago, using 325cc implants in both breasts. I had slight asymmetry pre-surgery, but my surgeon did not think it necessary to use a different size implant in each breast to address this, as the difference was slight. However, as I heal, the asymmetry seems more obvious than it did prior to surgery. It also appears that this asymmetry is not improving, but actually worsening (it wasn't so obvious at 2 weeks post op, for instance). Is this normal?

Drop & Fluff

Yes, when breast volume is a little different between sides, which is common, there will be different degrees of pressure in each breast. They may swell differently and settle at different rates. I recommend that you let your Plastic Surgeon know about any concerning changes, otherwise try to wait until 6 months post op to evaluate your results.
All the best

3 weeks post op - is it possible during the healing process to experience increased asymmetry?

Hello dear, thanks for your question and provided information as well.. The breasts may lose their elasticity and firmness which can be caused by different factors such as pregnancy, massive weight loss, lactation and aging. To reaffirm the breasts and restore the natural look your surgeon can perform a mastopexy or breast lift. A breast lift restores a firmer, perkier, and more aesthetically pleasing shape to sagging breasts. This not only can improve a patient’s appearance by restoring her youthful, feminine proportions, but  also help bras and swimsuits fit more comfortably and attractively. By removing excess, stretched out skin, reshaping the breast tissue, and raising the nipple & areola into a more forward position, a cosmetic surgeon can create a more youthful breast contour. Stretched, large areolae can also be reduced during breast lift surgery, creating an overall better proportioned, natural looking breast, Actually the perkiness on a person or another, depends on patients skin and breast tissue… Breast augmentation surgery increases or restores breast size using silicone gel implants, saline implants or in some cases, fat transfer. One of the most popular and frequently performed aesthetic surgery procedures, breast augmentation has a long and successful track record in satisfying women who wish to enhance, regain or restore balance to their figures.

Tania Medina de Garcia, MD

Asymmetry after augmentation is not uncommon. Minor asymmetries before augmentation appear more significant, or magnified, on the augmented breast. I do see some asymmetry, but you are very early in your recovery. I would go in for a check up with your plastic surgeon and voice your concerns.

Asaf Yalif, MD
Roswell Plastic Surgeon

You are still very early in the healing process. It takes 4-6 months for swelling to subside and the implants to adjust to the pocket. No two sides heal alike. One side may drop faster or the swelling subside quicker.

Deborah Sillins, MD
Cincinnati Plastic Surgeon