12 days away from Lipo. Are there any foods or vitamins I should stay away from at this point? I was once told garlic vitamins

Liposuction/ Liposculpture/ Fat Transfer/ Vaser/ Hi Definition Procedures/Liposuction Revision/Tummy Tuck/Body Contouring

I appreciate your question.

I would recommend that you discuss this question with your surgeon as every surgeon has their own respective pre op protocol for his/her patients.  Your surgeon is your best resource as he/she is most familiar with your medical history and how you will be healing following surgery.

The best way to assess and give true advice would be an in-person exam.

Please see a board-certified plastic surgeon that specializes in aesthetic and restorative plastic surgery.

Dr. Schwartz

Vitamins to avoid before surgery

Yes there are several over the counter items that you should be avoiding at least 10 days before surgery.  Your Board Certified Plastic Surgeon should provide you with a list of items to avoid.  Some examples would be: Anything that contains ASPRIN, or medications that can affect your blood's ability to clot and could increase your tendency to bleed at the time of surgery and during the post operative period. 

Remember to speak to your surgeon as this is very important!

N. Bill Aydin, MD
Paramus Plastic Surgeon

Liposuction - what should I avoid before surgery?

Thank you for asking about your liposuction.

• Your surgeon should provide you with a list of medicines and foods to avoid.
  • Usually, no aspirin, no ibuprofen and no supplements including garlic -
  • But your should take instructions from your own surgeon. Only s/he knows your state of health.

Always see a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon. Best wishes  - Elizabeth Morgan MD PHD FACS

Medications to Avoid Before Liposuction

Thank you for your question. Typically, aspirin, blood thinners and anti-inflammatories should be avoided 2 weeks before elective surgery. Also, avoid Vitamin E as this can also cause excessive bleeding. Your board-certified plastic surgeon may have a list of medications and herbal supplements to avoid. 

Yes, excess garlic can cause bleeding. You also want to avoid meds like aspirin and anti-inflammatories.

Foods/medications to avoid before surgery

There are many medications you want to try to avoid before having any type of surgery. You want to avoid any medications that can thin the blood. Ex: aspirin, ibuprofen, fish oil, advil, aleve, exederine, and all other NSAIDs. Also, you should avoid Vitamin E and alcohol before surgery as they are also blood thinners. You should discontinue the use of all blood thinners 2 weeks before surgery to give your body enough time to get back to its baseline. There are no foods that we know of though that can cause operative risks.

John W. Tyrone, MD
Gainesville Plastic Surgeon