Will a 100cc difference between right and left implants ever look more even? (photo)

The left side of my chest protrudes more than my right. I was given a 250cc moderate plus profile silicone implant on the left and a 350cc high profile silicone implant on the right. It's been about 3.5 weeks since my surgery. My PS said before surgery my breasts wouldn't be identical but I was not prepared for such a huge difference. Is this the best result that could be achieved due to my chest wall asymmetry?

Will a 100cc difference between right and left implants ever look more even?

Thank you for your question. Remember, it is best to be seen in person by a double-board-certified plastic surgeon for precise diagnosis and treatment.

No

I think you can achieve better symmetry by using implants that are closer in size.  However, wait at least 3 months to get a better feel once most of the swelling has subsided.

Andre Aboolian, MD

Will Asymmetry Look More Even Later

HEALING AFTER BREAST SURGERY, AUGMENTATION, LIFTS

1.    pain is variable

2.    it takes 2-3 months for implants to settle and muscles to relax

3.    celebrex, motrin, and muscle relaxers can help

4.    massage and stretching may help

5.    everyone heals differently

6.    4-7 days off from work is common

HEALING OF SENSORY NERVES: Tingling, burning or shooting pains, which will disappear with time and should not alarm you, indicate regeneration of the sensory nerves. If these sensations cause pain, repeated, local self-massage helps.

ASYMMETRY: The two breasts commonly heal quite differently. One breast may swell more, feel more uncomfortable, or have a different initial shape. After complete healing, they will be more similar and natural. You must have patience, but if this causes concern, ask questions of the doctor or the nursing staff.

SHAPE AND CONTOUR: The final shape of your breasts will start to look its best approximately three (3) months after surgery. It takes time for the skin and muscle to stretch and relax around the new implant. The breast will often look higher, firmer, and “less natural” in the first three (3) months. It can take up to a year to see your final result.

FOLLOW-UP EXAMS: These are generally done in 1 week, 2 to 3 weeks, 3 to 6 weeks, 3 months, 6 months to 1 year, and 1-2 year intervals. In our office we include all of your follow up appointments in the initial surgical fee.

Implant asymmetry

Some of the size issue may be swelling but it also may stay that way.  You need to give it 4-6 months to see how it settles first.

Early Asymmetry

I appreciate your concern, but It is still quite early in your postoperative journey to panic. Allow at least 4-6 months to pass to allow your breasts and muscles to accommodate to the implants and then discuss any asymmetry with your surgeon. Good luck!

Robert M. Tornambe, MD

Breasts

All breasts are different right to left before and after any surgery. You are still early in the healing process. Close follow up with your plastic surgeon is recommended during this time.

Is this ok?

You are still quite early in the healing process so it is difficult to make definitive recommendations. Having existing chest wall asymmetries does make achieving symmetry more difficult and revisions are more common. That being said, most patients ultimately do have a satisfying result. I would recommend patience, and discussion of your concerns with your surgeon. Good luck!

Breast symmetry after augmentation

It is still very early after your operation to evaluate symmetry. Swelling and small collections of fluid can create early asymmetry. If you are very concerned, contact your plastic surgeon and discuss a timeline which you can expect the final result. This is usually between 3 to 6 months.

Ira H. Rex lll, MD
Fall River Plastic Surgeon

Implants - Breast Augmentation

Thank you for your inquiry. You are still swollen and this is normal, however, after three weeks the swelling should have subsided enough to see the size of your new breasts. I see a significant difference here. You should follow up with your plastic surgeon or get a second opinion if you aren't happy. Best of Luck

Asymmetry after breast augmentation

We often tell patients that breasts are "sisters" not "twins" and there is likely to be some asymmetry afterwards. Sometimes if one breast is much smaller than the other, a larger implant can be used on that side. Swelling can also affect how breasts look after surgery. Follow up with your plastic surgeon is important and can help. Best, MMT