1 week post op tummy tuck & rectus abdominals plicated. Dr wants me to walk bent over. Back pain bad! Feel better erect.

1 week post op. Tummy tuck with rectus abdominals tightened. Dr.insists I walk bent over. My back is killing me! I have straightened up occasionally and feel better but he feels I could open the lower horizontal incision. Is he being overly cautious? I am healthy and able to stand tall!

If you are already 1 week post op and feel better standing erect, do what your body tells you is best. I have my patients standing up straight right after surgery but some doctors are overly cautious. Unfortunately, in the process of walking bent over, you end up hurting your back! Your body will let you know what feels best for you. Good luck!

Back pain

It is best to ask your surgeon for specific instructions on when you can begin standing more erect.  In the meantime, a trick for the back pain is to have a partner massage your lower back with a tennis ball.  It may help if you use some heat on the area beforehand to loosen the muscles.  It will get better!

Camille Cash, MD