Which treatment is better, giving faster result and safety between Thermiva, Femilift and Monalisa Touch?

What are the differences between the various vaginal treatments for dryness on the market; specifically referring to Thermiva, Femilift and Monalisa Touch?

ThermiVa, MonaLisa Touch & FemiLift - treatment comparison

One of the best parts about the surging technology addressing vaginal issues is how many options women have today. The recommendation for procedure will be dependent on your concern.  What is most important in choosing a treatment is determining your primary complaint and goal. I suggest seeing an experienced physician who has multiple non-invasive and surgical options to address your concerns face-to-face.

As an overview:

ThermiVa is a radiofrequency device utilizing thermal (heat) energy to target cell growth. It’s comfortable and has absolutely no downtime. ThermiVa is FDA approved for vaginal tightening. Many patients also report increased sensitivity, lubrication and stimulation, in additional to relief from incontinence. It’s primary function however is vaginal tightening and any additional benefit is just that. At my practice, we have remarkable results doing ThermiVa + O-Shot procedures together. By adding the O-Shot PRP injection to the ThermiVa treatment, patients many times also exhibit increased orgasms and heightened sensitivity.

MonaLisa Touch is a CO2 fractional laser using ablative techniques to revitalize the vaginal mucosa (tissue) to create more collagen. MonaLisa Touch is FDA approved to treat vaginal atrophy, including vaginal dryness and painful intercourse. MonaLisa Touch treats vaginal dryness, burning, discomfort and itching along with painful intercourse due to loss of elasticity and is a wonderful option, especially for post-menopausal women experiencing decreased lubrication.  2 out of 5 post-menopausal women experience discomfort, pain and dryness, and for those concerns, MonaLisa Touch is the best option. Many breast cancer survivors also seek MonaLisa Touch treatments to address vaginal changes with absolutely no hormones.

FemiLift will be similar in explanation to MonaLisa Touch, however MonaLisa Touch in my experience is most comfortable for the patient as the probe is only placed once.

As always, visit with a trained physician who offers multiple options to address your concerns.

Laser Vs Radio frequency

We use ThermiVa for cosmetic appearance it helps it also helps with vaginal lubrication. The MonaLisa is a laser that penetrates deeper and creates HIGHER temperatures to help your vaginal tissue regenerate better vaginal skin and collagen. It has been adopted at many centers of excellence and has documented studies showing it has long term success. It helps manage dryness, painful intimacy and secondarily helps incontinence.

ThermiVA vs. other treatments

ThermiVa works by using radiofrequency non ablatively to increase collagen production in the vaginal area to tighten, reduce sagging, prompt natural lubrication, improve sensation and reduce urinary incontinence. This treatment has less downtime and no discomfort compared to some of the other treatments you've mentioned.

Results are often seen immediately after treatment and there is no downtime. A series of 3 treatments is recommended for full correction.

ThermiVa

We love ThermiVa- I can tell you compared to Monalisa, Thermi is less expensive, more comfortable and the outside changes are much better.  ThermiVa is a terrific procedure with no downtime.  ThermiVa increases sensation- lubrication- and helps urinary incontinence.  The husbands LOVE it...

Melanie L. Petro, MD
Birmingham Facial Plastic Surgeon

ThermiVa

Thank you for your question. We offer ThermiVa which works by using radiofrequency non ablatively to increase collagen production in the vaginal area to tighten, reduce sagging, prompt natural lubrication, improve sensation and reduce urinary incontinence. Results are often seen immediately after treatment and there is no downtime. A series of 3 treatments is recommended for full correction. I would recommend a consultation to determine your candidacy. Best wishes. 

Kathleen Morno, MD
Highland Park Physician

Go with a Combination for Vaginal Dryness--Erbium (Juliet) Followed by Radiofrequency (ThermiVA)

The difference between them is treatment is delivered as either a laser or with radiofrequency. I recommend a combination for best results. I suggest an ablative treatment then followed by RF treatments for long term. This gives a great outcome for dryness. Please see an expert. Best, Dr. Emer.

The fastest nonsurgical vaginal rejuvenation results are with...

All of the current nonsurgical vaginal rejuvenation technologies utilize heat delivered by either laser energy or radiofrequency energy to stimulate collagen formation. The collagen is responsible for the results. However, an immediate response to these treatments is experienced unrelated to collagen formation and related simply to the immediate effects of heat. These include increased blood flow and swelling. These will create immediate results with all of these technologies. As far as safety, they are relatively safe when used with the protocols recommended by the manufacturers.

Comparing Procedures for Vaginal Rejuvenation

Thanks for your question. There are no studies (head to head comparisons) for you to reference. You will likely get opinions all over the map, which makes your decision understandably difficult. Dr. Alinsod, who developed ThermiVa and is a highly respected gynecologic surgeon, wrote a nice piece about comparing these technologies and he has experience with lasers as well. I have provided the web reference below. We have had excellent results with ThermiVa as well as Thermi-O (ThermiVa plus the 'O shot') in my practice. I pretty routinely hear 'this procedure has changed my life' from the women I treat. Ultimately your decision will come down to your comfort level with the providers near you who offer this type of procedure and your tolerance for downtime (yes, laser procedures DO have downtime). ThermiVa requires an initial series of 3 session, as do other devices you mention, and a yearly maintenance treatment. Lasers require pretty much the same from what I have heard.

Lisa Vuich, MD

Lisa Vuich, MD
Nashua Physician

Femilift

Well that is a loaded question and one that perhaps I am unfairly answering.   I have used the Femilift for the past 2 years on hundreds of patients with outstanding results.  I have never experienced any complications and the procedure is easy, safe and pain free.

I recently purchased my ThermiVa machine prior to Femilift coming out with the new external labia majora tightening probe as well as the new and smaller vaginal probes.   These were the advatanges I wanted with the ThermiVa at the time.  Without having had a large pool of patients on the ThermiVa, my immediate results over the past few  months have not been as satisfactory as those I previously experienced using the Femilift.  It is my opinion that the Femilift gets a deeper tissue penetration and greater tissue resurfacing and thereby optimizing regeneration of the vaginal tissue.

I have not used the MLT and therefore cannot comment on this device.

FemiLift is the better laser

Thanks for your question. As the first surgeon in the US to use FemiLift CO2 laser for vaginal resurfacing in 2013, I have had excellent results with zero complications after more than 600 uses.

ThermiVa uses Radiofrequency (RF), so by definition it doesn't cause any resurfacing of the vaginal walls, the procedure takes longer to perform and the results are short lived.

MLT and FemiLift are both CO2 and thus superior to ThermiVa's RF. Without going too much into the scientific differences between the two, FemiLift laser treatments are more ablative and thus resurfaces the vaginal lining deeper and better. It's so effective that I've seen excellent reduction in vaginal relaxation symptoms such as stress urinary incontinence and vaginal looseness.

I hope this helps you in your decision.

Oscar A. Aguirre, MD
Aguirre Specialty Care - Pelvic Surgery & Intimate Aesthetics®

Oscar A. Aguirre, MD
Denver Urogynecologist