Which treatment is better, giving faster result and safety between Thermiva, Femilift and Monalisa Touch?

What are the differences between the various vaginal treatments for dryness on the market; specifically referring to Thermiva, Femilift and Monalisa Touch?

ThermiVa, MonaLisa Touch & FemiLift - treatment comparison

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

One of the best parts about the surging technology addressing vaginal issues is how many options women have today. The recommendation for procedure will be dependent on your concern.  What is most important in choosing a treatment is determining your primary complaint and goal. I suggest seeing an experienced physician who has multiple non-invasive and surgical options to address your concerns face-to-face.

As an overview:

ThermiVa is a radiofrequency device utilizing thermal (heat) energy to target cell growth. It’s comfortable and has absolutely no downtime. ThermiVa is FDA approved for vaginal tightening. Many patients also report increased sensitivity, lubrication and stimulation, in additional to relief from incontinence. It’s primary function however is vaginal tightening and any additional benefit is just that. At my practice, we have remarkable results doing ThermiVa + O-Shot procedures together. By adding the O-Shot PRP injection to the ThermiVa treatment, patients many times also exhibit increased orgasms and heightened sensitivity.

MonaLisa Touch is a CO2 fractional laser using ablative techniques to revitalize the vaginal mucosa (tissue) to create more collagen. MonaLisa Touch is FDA approved to treat vaginal atrophy, including vaginal dryness and painful intercourse. MonaLisa Touch treats vaginal dryness, burning, discomfort and itching along with painful intercourse due to loss of elasticity and is a wonderful option, especially for post-menopausal women experiencing decreased lubrication.  2 out of 5 post-menopausal women experience discomfort, pain and dryness, and for those concerns, MonaLisa Touch is the best option. Many breast cancer survivors also seek MonaLisa Touch treatments to address vaginal changes with absolutely no hormones.

FemiLift will be similar in explanation to MonaLisa Touch, however MonaLisa Touch in my experience is most comfortable for the patient as the probe is only placed once.

As always, visit with a trained physician who offers multiple options to address your concerns.

FemiLift is the better laser

Thanks for your question. As the first surgeon in the US to use FemiLift CO2 laser for vaginal resurfacing in 2013, I have had excellent results with zero complications after more than 600 uses.

ThermiVa uses Radiofrequency (RF), so by definition it doesn't cause any resurfacing of the vaginal walls, the procedure takes longer to perform and the results are short lived.

MLT and FemiLift are both CO2 and thus superior to ThermiVa's RF. Without going too much into the scientific differences between the two, FemiLift laser treatments are more ablative and thus resurfaces the vaginal lining deeper and better. It's so effective that I've seen excellent reduction in vaginal relaxation symptoms such as stress urinary incontinence and vaginal looseness.

I hope this helps you in your decision.

Oscar A. Aguirre, MD
Aguirre Specialty Care - Pelvic Surgery & Intimate Aesthetics®

Oscar A. Aguirre, MD
Denver Urogynecologist

Non-surgical Vaginal Tightening and Rejuvenation

Hi and thank you for you question! 

Our treatment of choice for vaginal rejuvenation is the Geneveve. It is a radiofrequency based treatment, but requires only one, 30 minute, comfortable treatment. We recommend one treatment per year for maintenance. Our patients are reporting significant improvements in vaginal tightening, urinary incontinence, lubrication and sensation. We have tested all the other devices and we definitely feel this treatment provides the most dramatic results, in the shortest time and is the most comfortable and easiest treatment process. Our three female providers perform the procedure (our NP and PA's). 

Dr. Grant Stevens

Grant Stevens, MD

ThermiVa vs FemiLift

Thank you for your question. The MonaLisa Touch has a special fractional CO2laser that prevents and restores estrogen drops in the vaginal tissue by re-activating the production of new collagen. ThermiVa on the other hand is a radio frequency is sent to your external and internal vaginal tissues, causing them to tighten. The FemiLift treatment is a thermal laser that is sent into your vaginal tissues without any incisions, needles, or surgery. The thermal heating created by this FDA-approved laser encourages your tissues to naturally tighten, but also causes them to generate collagen and elastin. The biggest difference between ThermiVa and FemiLift is that in ThermiVa treatment is used to treat the external and internal vaginal tissues. FemiLift only treats the internal vaginal tissues. Typically for both ThermiVa and FemiLift, patients do a series of 3 treatments for maximum results. For more information, I recommend getting a in person consultation from a board-certified dermatologist. 

Bruce E. Katz, MD

Laser Vs Radio frequency

We use ThermiVa for cosmetic appearance it helps it also helps with vaginal lubrication. The MonaLisa is a laser that penetrates deeper and creates HIGHER temperatures to help your vaginal tissue regenerate better vaginal skin and collagen. It has been adopted at many centers of excellence and has documented studies showing it has long term success. It helps manage dryness, painful intimacy and secondarily helps incontinence.

ThermiVA vs. other treatments

ThermiVa works by using radiofrequency non ablatively to increase collagen production in the vaginal area to tighten, reduce sagging, prompt natural lubrication, improve sensation and reduce urinary incontinence. This treatment has less downtime and no discomfort compared to some of the other treatments you've mentioned.

Results are often seen immediately after treatment and there is no downtime. A series of 3 treatments is recommended for full correction.

ThermiVa

We love ThermiVa- I can tell you compared to Monalisa, Thermi is less expensive, more comfortable and the outside changes are much better.  ThermiVa is a terrific procedure with no downtime.  ThermiVa increases sensation- lubrication- and helps urinary incontinence.  The husbands LOVE it...

Melanie L. Petro, MD
Birmingham Facial Plastic Surgeon

ThermiVa

Thank you for your question. We offer ThermiVa which works by using radiofrequency non ablatively to increase collagen production in the vaginal area to tighten, reduce sagging, prompt natural lubrication, improve sensation and reduce urinary incontinence. Results are often seen immediately after treatment and there is no downtime. A series of 3 treatments is recommended for full correction. I would recommend a consultation to determine your candidacy. Best wishes. 

Kathleen Morno, MD
Highland Park Physician

Go with a Combination for Vaginal Dryness--Erbium (Juliet) Followed by Radiofrequency (ThermiVA)

The difference between them is treatment is delivered as either a laser or with radiofrequency. I recommend a combination for best results. I suggest an ablative treatment then followed by RF treatments for long term. This gives a great outcome for dryness. Please see an expert. Best, Dr. Emer.

The fastest nonsurgical vaginal rejuvenation results are with...

All of the current nonsurgical vaginal rejuvenation technologies utilize heat delivered by either laser energy or radiofrequency energy to stimulate collagen formation. The collagen is responsible for the results. However, an immediate response to these treatments is experienced unrelated to collagen formation and related simply to the immediate effects of heat. These include increased blood flow and swelling. These will create immediate results with all of these technologies. As far as safety, they are relatively safe when used with the protocols recommended by the manufacturers.