I'm a male and African descent, is PRP and ACELL what I need for my thinning hair caused by hair dye?

All hair on my crown area is thinned as a result of abuse,I have used hair dye for over 10 yrs and after my hair started shedding while combing I shaved all off and since then the crown area remained thinned,I heard about prp and ACELL,would this treatment repair my hair?

Hair dye does not cause hair to thin, unlike hair relaxers that can damage skin. PRP+ACell can reverse your hair thinning

Thank you for the question. You state you are of African descent, and connect the use of hair dye for more than 10 years as a cause of your hair loss. You also say that once you noticed your hair is thinning, you shaved your head and noticed the hair in the crown is thin, and ask whether platelet-rich plasma (PRP) and ACELL will be of benefit.
I can certainly assist you with this question. A little background: I’m a Board-certified cosmetic surgeon and Fellowship-trained oculofacial plastic and reconstructive surgeon practicing in Manhattan and Long Island for over 20 years. Hair transplant and non-surgical hair loss treatment is a large part of what I do in my practice. I am the founder of TrichoStem™ Hair Regeneration Centers, a system which we developed in our practice over several years as a non-surgical treatment for pattern hair loss affecting both men and women. People come to our practice from all over the world for this treatment. I can give you some guidance on how I assess people like yourself in my practice.
In the absence you submitting any photos, I can at least appreciate your issue because you are connecting use of hair dye with hair loss. There are certainly situations where something you apply on top of the hair or skin can cause hair loss, and one particularly significant for people of African descent is the use of hair relaxers. Hair relaxers are very problematic because their chemical makeup is very toxic to the skin. We have tried to help a lot of people with scarring from hair relaxing procedures where the chemicals absorbed in the skin would really damage the skin, and people often look like they were burned. There is a distinction here of a chemical that’s toxic to the skin.
Hair dye is actually generally not toxic to the skin and won’t cause hair thinning, which is a common misinterpretation. People often believe wearing hats causes hair thinning, which is also not the case. The most likely situation is you were dying your hair, and genetic pattern of your hair loss began and continued. So you are in a situation where you’ve connected 2 events that happened in sequence, but you connected them as having a causal relationship.
That said, let’s move forward with your situation being male pattern hair loss. If you have male pattern hair loss, what we do is a treatment called Hair Regeneration. This is a combination of Acellular matrix and platelet-rich plasma (PRP). We developed this application to help hair transplants heal better, but a side effect was thinning hair became thicker. We spent a lot of time developing the process where we can maximize the outcome, minimize the toxicities, inflammation, or other issues that are a little complex with this material. We now have systems and algorithms for both men and women of different ages, ethnicities, and levels of hair loss in a process that results in 99% of both men and women having a positive response - in other words, they stop losing hair. There is activation of hair that was not growing, as well as the restoration of thinning hair that is shed so thicker hairs grow in.
For medical options, you also have finasteride and minoxidil, but these drugs have their limitations. There are a lot of the fears related to finasteride, so people came to us because we offered something that does not require the support of separate medication, or ongoing treatment. On its own, Hair Regeneration can be very effective.
With that understood, I think it is important you meet with qualified doctors who have extensive experience with this material. As time has gone on more and more doctors are offering Acellular matrix and platelet-rich plasma (PRP). I don’t know exactly how long their formulations work for, or how many treatment sessions they require, but for now  I think you at least find a doctor you are comfortable with in terms of their experience and expertise, and learn about your options before you move forward.
The key to this treatment is very much about timing. As long as there is a hair follicle we can make a difference. When people wait longer and lose more hair, there is less hair follicles to work with. It is very  important when you are considering an option of choosing a provider or physician to do this. If something doesn’t work out so well, you could lose opportunity to save your hair, which depends on the rate of your progression and the aggressiveness of your hair loss. I hope that was helpful, I wish you the best of luck and thank you for your question.

New York Oculoplastic Surgeon

African with hair loss. Englewood Cliffs NJ

In my opinion, you need to be evaluated by a PRP hair expert. There are numerous causes for hair loss in the crown. One Needs to determined if you have  scarring . Treatment with PRP is successful with most non scarring hair loss. We have had some success with traction alopecia. You need a good history, magnified examination and possibly blood work and biopsy. Find a PRP expert.  Hope this helps. Good luck.

Jeffrey Rapaport, MD
Englewood Dermatologic Surgeon

Hair Loss and PRP

The hair loss you are describing may be from scarring to your scalp. I would suggest you get a consultation from a hair loss specialist before proceeding with injections. Best, Dr. Green