FUE hair loss. Am I destined to look balder for the next few months? Any suggestions?

FUE Three weeks out. Hair has fallen out. I look really bald, especially since my head was shaved. Was a Norwood 3V, but now I look like a 4 or 5 without native hair to help cover up. When can I expect to look like before. Doctor says three months minimum. Am I destined to look balder for the next few months? Any suggestions?

Hair shedding after a hair surgery

On the week 1-2 the  transplanted hairs will start to shed at this point, and by the end of the 3rd/4th week, most will be gone.  This is a normal part of the healing process and is totally expected.  The newly transplanted hairs go through a shedding process as the actual hair shaft is released, but the actual folliculare unit and bulb are totally intact starting to grow a new hair shaft.  This is part of the normal hair cycle .Months 3-4 the new hairs should start coming out.  For some patients, their transplanted hairs start growing early in the timeline, for others they start growing later.  You will see the new transplants but they will be thin at this stage as they begin to emerge from the scalp.  Most of the native hair will be growing back at this time..

Turkey Plastic Surgeon

You may look worse before you look better. Everyone is different. In general it can take 6 to 12 months to see results.

You may look worse before you look better.  Everyone is different.  In general it can take 6 to 12 months to see results.

Jae Pak, MD
Los Angeles Hair Restoration Surgeon

Losing your transplanted hairs after FUE

Thanks for your question. Losing your transplanted hair a few weeks after FUE or FUT is completely expected. In my experience, the hair will grow in just a few months.  Hang in there and get excited for the growth.

Benjamin C. Paul, MD

Worse before better

It is typical to lose the transplanted hair at 3 weeks and yes you will look worse before you will look great.  You did not mention if you were on any medication.   If not contraindicated you should be on finasteride at least for the first 6 months after a hair transplant to prevent shock loss.  See our website as it will walk you through week by week and month by month of what to expect after hair transplantation.

Parsa Mohebi, MD
Beverly Hills Hair Restoration Surgeon

Shedding hair after a hair transplant procedure

You seem to be experiencing shedding that is typical following a hair transplant. The hair which is shed generally grows back together with the transplanted hair at about three months. You should expect hair that is shaved for the FUE procedure to grow back at the normal rate of 1/2mm per day.

The shedding, also called shock hair loss, doesn’t imply damage to the hair follicles. What it implies is a physiological, or normal, response to this trauma to the scalp which is caused by the hair transplant. In general, only miniaturized hair (the hair that is affected by androgens and that has begun to decrease in diameter) is shed after a transplant. This hair would be lost in the near term anyway. Existing healthy hair is unlikely to shed, but if it were shed, you could expect it to grow back.

Hair loss after surgery

You have developed shock loss from the surgery. This could be prevented by taking the drug finasteride, see below

William Rassman, MD
Los Angeles Hair Restoration Surgeon