Do I really need to break my nose to get the look I want? (photos)

All my life I hated my nose! People use to tease me about my flared nostrils. Recently I been researching trying to find the right doctor to fix it! Every doctor did consultations with is telling me I need to break my nose and I'm so scared that sounds drastic lol! Dr Miami is the only doctor that told me he doesn't have to break my nose but he's booked until 2018 and I'm trying to be on that table by October! Does it look like I need it broken?

Nostril issue

If your tip and nostril size is your only issue as there is no bone in this part of the nose then there is no need to break the bones 

Nasal Bone Changes

Thank you for your question.  It is difficult to determine if you bones need to have osteotomies, which is the medical term for breaking the bones.  A full frontal view would be helpful. Raising or augmenting the profile can effectively narrow the nose without osteotomies. You are a borderline candidate to augment the profile.  Best of luck.  

Raj P. TerKonda, MD, FACS

Rhinoplasty candidate, some advices:

Thank you very much for sharing your concerns with us.

The harmony between facial parts makes us instinctively recognize the beauty... without knowing it, without defining it, just a perception that surprises and captivates us.

In this regard, I suggest perform a Closed Rhinoplasty (without visible scars) to treat the tip, base and nasal bridge.
With this procedure you get a delicate nose, better harmonize with your other facial features.

Respectfully,
Dr. Emmanuel Mallol Cotes.-

Emmanuel Mallol Cotes, MD

Do I Need to Break My Nose to Achieve My Goals?

The answer to your question depends on what you want to achieve. For example, your flared nostrils can be reduced and the tip narrowed and refined without breaking the bones. It sounds like you should consult with other experienced surgeons.

Rhinoplasty goals

It really depends upon your goals of surgery. You would have to be seen in person to be properly evaluated.

Ethnic Nose

The surgery for an ethnic nose like yours is approached differently than a Caucasian nose. 

This change in technique is because an ethnic nose is often wide and flat in the mid portion, lacks a strong dorsal profile, lacks tip refinement, and has significant flaring of the nostrils. The nose in the pictures you shared is no exception.

If you would like to correct the excess width of the mid-portion of the nose, the nasal bones need to broken and moved inward. This nasal bone infracturing is not complex and takes minutes to perform. 

Grafting techniques would then be used to strengthen the projection of the tip and raise the dorsum — lengthening the nose and strengthening the dorsal profile. Next, suture techniques are used to refine the tip. Finally, the excess width and flare of the nostrils is corrected. 

These are subtle maneuvers that are often intended to create millimeter changes to the shape of the nose once it heals. They can all be performed, however, during one procedure.

A detailed examination and frank discussion will help delineate the best treatment to achieve your goals. Consultation with a plastic surgeon certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery would be the next best step.

Breaking the nose during rhinoplasty

The photos that you have provided reveal several things that you may want to have addressed to assist in the surgical outcome of rhinoplasty.  If all you are interested is the lower 2/3 of your nose, then it is quite possible that you do not have to have your nose broken to address these areas.  If you are more concerned with the upper portion of your nose due to the width of the dorsum you may benefit from having osteotomies to narrow the nasal dorsum or you may be a candidate for a dorsal onlay graft to elevate the dorsum which may make it appear more narrow.  A thorough consultation would definitely help determine which approach is best.

Philip S. Schoenfeld, MD, FACS
Chevy Chase Facial Plastic Surgeon

Do I really need to break my nose to get the look I want?

Greetings

Thank you for your question and photos. 

There are different kinds of rhinoplasty operations however we can divide them as the one that requires bone excision and the one that does not need bone excision. The main fact that we classify the rhinoplasty operations like that is that the results and postoperative period is associated closely with this fact. In the operations like “nasal tip correction”, “simple rhinoplasty” there is no need for a bone excision however these minor operations cannot be beneficial for everyone. The operation type is need to be determined by the surgeon according to needs of the patient. In these minor operations the rhinoplasty is performed with closed method. The bone and the cartilage tissues are not involved in the surgery directly. Small nasal bumps can be removed in these operations.

In the operation that needs the bone and cartilage tissues to be involved; open approach is used. In the procedures with open approach, the size, shape and functionality of the nose can be improved. The big nasal bumps can be removed and septal deviations can be corrected providing a better nasal airway.

Bulent Cihantimur, MD
Turkey Plastic Surgeon

Rhinoplasty

Hello and thank you for your question. Based on your photograph, you may benefit from a tip refining rhinoplasty. Your surgeon can accomplish this by trimming, suturing, and reshaping the cartilage in your lower nose. Cartilage grafts may also be used to help improve tip refinement. In order to accurately assess if you need osteotomies, an in-person consultation would be helpful.  Make sure you specifically look at before and after pictures of real patients who have had this surgery performed by your surgeon and not just a computer animation system. The most important aspect is to find a surgeon you are comfortable with. I recommend that you seek consultation with a qualified board-certified plastic surgeon who can evaluate you in person.

Best wishes and good luck.

Richard G. Reish, M.D.
Harvard-trained plastic surgeon

Richard G. Reish, MD