I don't want the shape of my nose to change, but will I benefit from alarplasty alone? (photo)

I'm scheduled for rhinoplasty dec 7 but now I'm getting scared! I hate my flared nostrils and the fact that my nose looks like it's pushed upwards from the side view. Im scared the alarplasty is not going to fix my problem but I really don't want my whole nose reconstructed it's just the flared upward nostrils I really hate! Will I benifiy from the alarplasty alone or should I try another method?

I don't want the shape of my nose to change, but will I benefit from alarplasty alone?

An alarplasty by itself with reduce the overall width of the nose, but this may make the tip look proportionately larger.

Nasal evaluation

You would need to be seen in person. An alar base reduction can treat the flare and the width.  Treating the tip projection is done through other techniques and often requiring an open procedure.

Nasal evaluation

Hello and thank you for your question. Based on your photograph, you may benefit from a tip refining rhinoplasty. Your surgeon can accomplish this by trimming, suturing, and reshaping the cartilage in your lower nose. You may also benefit from decreasing the width of your alar base.  Make sure you specifically look at before and after pictures of real patients who have had this surgery performed by your surgeon and not just a computer animation system.

Best wishes and good luck.

Richard G. Reish, M.D.
Harvard-trained plastic surgeon

Richard G. Reish, MD

Rhinoplasty

Thank you for your question and photographs.

This is something you need to discuss with your surgeon who has physically examined you. They know your anatomy best. If you are having doubts about your surgery then you should certainly schedule an appointment with your surgeon to discuss these and come up with a solution to make you feel more comfortable about your decision. I don’t know if you would be happy with the results from just an alarplasty but possibly an alarplasty and tip rhinoplasty combined would give you more pleasing results. A tip rhinoplasty includes trimming the lower lateral cartilages and placing precision sutures to refine the tip and make it look more pleasing and an alarplasty, as you know, is the technique that is commonly used for nostril reduction and this procedure consists of making an incision on the inside or outside of the nostrils then removing a specific amount of tissue. Best of luck in your endeavors! Sincerely,

James Fernau, MD, FACS
Board Certified ENT
Board Certified Plastic Surgery
Member of ASPS, ASAPS, ISAPS, The Rhinoplasty Society, AAFPRS, OTO/HNS, ASLMS, International Federation for Adipose Therapeutics & Science

James Fernau, MD, FACS
Pittsburgh Plastic Surgeon

Rhinoplasty

This is really a question for your surgeon since he or she has assessed you in person. Since you are having second thoughts, schedule an appointment to share your concerns with your surgeon. Don't just wait until the day of surgery. You want to feel confident in your surgery plan. 

Kindly,

Kouros Azar

Kouros Azar, MD
Thousand Oaks Plastic Surgeon

Rhinoplasty , some advices:

Thank you very much for the questions.

The harmony between facial parts makes us instinctively recognize the beauty... without knowing it, without defining it, just a perception that surprises and captivates us.

In this regard, After having analyzed all the info. and photos provided to us, i recommend you perform an Open Full Rhinoplasty, includding narrowing of the nasal base and nostrils, with nasal bones treatment (controled fracture) and alar + triangular nasal cartilages re-shaping.
With this procedure you get a delicate nose, better harmonize with your other facial features.

Kind regards

Emmanuel Mallol Cotes, MD