Labiaplasty: why am I having dissolvable stitches?

I am having a labiaplasty on Saturday due to extreme discomfort and unhappy with appearance. My surgeon said she would use dissolvable stitches which will be very very close together. I am having the trimming method performed but just wondering what texture/appreance this would give me. Why dissolvable and why so close together? I would really appreciate a detailed, direct response. Thank you

Absorbable sutures

Hello.

Most surgeons would only use absorbable sutures with labiaplasty procedures.

The incisions heal tremendously well.

Non absorbable sutures would be painful and unnecessary.

Best of luck to you!

Dr Terry Higgins 

Labiaplasty with dissolvable stitches?

Most surgeons who perform labiaplasty use absorbable sutures, whether they use the trim or wedge techniques. This is mainly due to the fact that there is no post operative difference in appearance using either absorbable or non-absorbable sutures. Removing sutures from the labia would be uncomfortable after surgery therefore, absorbable sutures are easier on the patient during re overt. Good luck!

David F. Klein, MD
Concord Plastic Surgeon

Labiaplasty and dissolvable suture

As most surgeons indicated, for labiaplasty procedure only dissolvable sutures are used to avoid the potential pain associated with their removal. Since the area is exposed to gravity and unavoidable pressure during ambulation and daily activities, usually multiple but loose sutures are used to prevent inadequate closure/healing process. Especially in the trim technique, many sutures are placed simply because a longer area needs to be closed. What matters is the final outcome. Certainly, an appropriate postoperative care plays a significant role in the healing process as well.

Best regards,

Yvonne Wolny, MD

Yvonne Wolny, MD
Chicago OB-GYN

Labiaplasty stitches

Thank you for your question.  Dissolvable stitches allows them not to have to be removed by the surgeon.  The texture and appearance depends on the skills of the surgeon and how the patient heals.  Best of luck.  

Jeffrey S. Palmer, MD, FACS, FAAP (Cosmetic and Reconstructive Urologist -- Cleveland, Ohio)

Jeffrey S. Palmer, MD, FACS, FAAP
Cleveland Urologist

Trim procedure

I personally do not like the appearance of the trim procedure. I prefer a modified posterior wedge procedure such as what I developed. Check the link below for further information. Good Luck.

Robert L. True, MD
Grapevine OB/GYN

Most surgeons use dissolvable sutures for labiaplasty

Using permanent sutures requires suture removal. This is very uncomfortable after a labiaplasty and doesn't give results that are any different. The texture and appearance with trim is determined by suturing technique and dissection method. These vary greatly from surgeon to surgeon so look at their before and after portfolio to get an accurate estimate.

Marco A. Pelosi III, MD
Jersey City OB/GYN

Ask your surgeon

Those are great questions but are relatively specific to the way your surgeon does the procedure. I suspect he/she is using dissolvable sutures to avoid the need to remove them which might be uncomfortable but, those type of questions should be addressed to your surgeon directly. Good luck

Robert Frank, MD
Munster Plastic Surgeon

Dissolvable suture

Wishing you a quick and easy recovery.

Most of us use dissolvable sutures which dissolve without us having to remove then and causing you further discomfort. 

Dissolvable sutures are common practice and work extremely well in this area.

Placing sutures close together is common practice as it allows for a quicker healing and gives us some assurance in the event that a  suture breaks.

David Ghozland, MD
Santa Monica OB/GYN

Thanks for your question.

Labial tissue has a very rich blood supply for which dissolvable sutures work well. It is also very unpleasant to have to have sutures removed from this sensitive area after surgery. 

In my own technique we use a dissolvable continuous stitch which helps reduce post-operative swelling and bruising, followed by a layer of skin adhesive to seal the incisions. 

All surgeons have specific techniques which they prefer based on their experience. If you have confidence in your surgeon, trust her recommendations. If you have questions, you should feel uninhibited to ask them.

Best of luck to you.

Ram Kalus, MD
Mount Pleasant Plastic Surgeon

Labiaplasty and dissolvable stitches

It is common practice to use dissolvable stitches when performing labiaplasty, since they absorb nicely in the mucosal tissues without the need for removal.  Surgeons use different techniques to stitch the area depending on their experience and style.

Warm regards,

Dr. Pedy Ganchi                                                                                                                                                       Village Plastic Surgery

Pedy Ganchi, MD
Ridgewood Plastic Surgeon