Can robust massage cause symmastia? (Photo)

I have HP implants placed as my breast recon (lumpectomy and radiation on right side '13) I am 6 weeks out. Both are soft, the irradiated side, while soft has less movement, projection and has not dropped in the same rate as the other side. I have read massage *can* lead to symmastia, which I would not want. Is it possible to inflict symmastia through aggressive massage, or massage period?

Massage and Symmastia

You should check with your plastic surgeon to be certain that massage is advised.  With regard to symmastia I think it is very unlikely that massage would disrupt the tissue to the point where the implant could be displaced over the sternum.

Saint Louis Plastic Surgeon

Symmastia and massage

you cannot get symmastia with massagethe inner border of the breast would have to be surgically breached to end up with symmastiaTalmage Raine MD FACS

Talmage J. Raine, MD, FACS

Massage and Symmastia

Thank you for the question. It is unlikely that aggressive massage can cause Symmastia. It is important to follow your doctor's instructions when to start massaging your breasts. Best of luck!Dr  Khuthaila 

Dana Khuthaila, MD, FACS

Massage and symmastia

Thank you for your question and for the photo.
You should first ask your implantig Plastic surgeon before starting any type of massage.  That beign said, I have never heard of massage leading to a symmastia.  You have adaquate space between your breasts that I do not feel will be affected adversly by the massages.
Best of luck with your recuperation.
Dr T

Douglas Taranow, DO, FACOS

Massage and symmastia

It is highly unlikely that massage would cause a problem, but you should ask your surgeon if he even wants you to do that.  Best of luck.

Synmastia with massage

Hi photomarystar
I hope you make a full cancer recovery.Overly vigorous massage may contribute to synmastia in some cases, especially when the breasts are compressed toward the midline.  You have a bit of separation between the breasts (not at all bad), so you don't appear to be at great risk.You should only do therapies that are approved by your doctor, because only he knows the right answer for you.All the best.

Can robust massage cause symmastia

Thank you for sharing your question and photograph.  It is highly unlikely that robust massage will cause synmastia as the amount of force needed to push an implant through the attached tissues of the skin to the breastbone are great.  Hope this helps.

Can robust massage cause symmastia? = in the implants are placed above the muscle, yes it could #ba #breastimplants #breast

Breast augmentation with implants could be done by placing the implants below the muscle and above the muscle. Then placed above bellow the muscle, the attachment of the muscle to the mid chest bone ( sternum) usually prevents the implant to migrate to the midline and result in synmastia ( if the muscle was not detached during surgery). When the implants are placed above the muscle, the muscle does not "protect" the implant from migrating to the midline if severe manage is performed in the breast shortly after surgery. 

John Mesa, MD

Can robust massage cause symmastia?

Thank you for the questions and picture. I have not seen a case where massage caused a symmastia.   Best to review your "massage technique" with your plastic surgeon. Best wishes.