Follow-up Question - Is diced septal cartilage wrapped in fascia firm like bone when fully integrated on bony dorsum?

It seems like there is a consensus that this is the best option / will always be the best option. This would be for minimal augmentation. I shouldn't be worried about anything concerning this, ever, right? Like it would be a thing of the past sort of thing and I won't be haunted by it ever warping or dissolving? Will this kind of graft survive the aging process?

Greetings

Thank you for your question. The DCF is also less likely to warp compared to a solid cartilage graft.  Make sure you specifically look at before and after pictures of real patients who have had this surgery performed by your surgeon and not just a computer animation system.

Turkey Plastic Surgeon

DCF (Diced Cartilage Fascia Graft)

This graft provides excellent dorsal augmentation.  The DCF is less likely to cause visible irregularities compared to solid cartilage onlay grafts.  The DCF is also less likely to warp compared to a solid cartilage graft.  With all that being said, visibility/cartilage resorption/warping are risks with any graft.  I suggest you find a surgeon with vast experience in rhinoplasty.  View the before/after photos.  Good Luck!  

Anthony Corrado, DO
Philadelphia Facial Plastic Surgeon

Diced cartilage

Nothing is "ever without complications".  There are always risks like irregularities or some resorption, to name a few. Diced cartilage is one option. 

Rhinoplasty

Diced cartilage with fascia is one of the techniques for dorsal augmentation in rhinoplasty. It is helpful for mild to moderate dorsal insufficiency with the advantage of better camuflage of the edges over time. It overlays mostly the cartilaginous vault of the nasal for sum with variable extension high over the bony portion but does not integrate with bone or feel like bone. It just scars to the thin layer covering the cartilage/bone underneath and skin and soft tissue over it with time which keeps it in place. 

Jacob Sedgh, MD

Grafts and rhinoplasty

All cartilage grafts, once integrated will survive long term. Issues of visibility of edges or irregularities may arise over time. However with diced cartilage that becomes less, since pieces are smaller. Also, wrapping in fascia provides soft tissue cover while camouflaged the cartilage further. Warping over time is not a major concern. 

Richard W. Westreich, MD
Manhattan Facial Plastic Surgeon

Dorsal onlay

Hello and thank you for your question. Diced cartilage is the gold standard for dorsal augmentation and it is very stable over time.  Make sure you specifically look at before and after pictures of real patients who have had this surgery performed by your surgeon and not just a computer animation system. The most important aspect is to find a surgeon you are comfortable with. I recommend that you seek consultation with a qualified board-certified plastic surgeon who can evaluate you in person.

Best wishes and good luck.

Richard G. Reish, M.D.
Harvard-trained plastic surgeon

Richard G. Reish, MD

Diced cartilage

Diced cartilage is a great way to go for most dorsal augmentation. It is sturdy, fairly predictable and stable.