Why does my chest look and feel and if nothing changed after chest liposuction? Its discouraging. (photos)

So I had chest lipo 13 days ago and when I see my chest I am still embarrassed. I did a follow up last week and the doctor stated that it is still swollen and it will take longer for results to be noticed. I notice that my left side shows more results but the right side doesn't. Does this mean i have to take the gland out and if so should I do the left side as well since it is still not flat? Ive been using the compression garment 24/7. Will I see a big change within the next two weeks?

You’re not seeing your final result quite yet.

As difficult as it may be to remain patient and wait for your body to heal after liposuction, that’s really what you need to do. It can take months for swelling to subside and for excess fluid to be expelled from that area and at only 2 weeks post-op, you’re simply not there yet. It’s good to hear that you’re wearing your compression garments. Keep that up, as it does help to alleviate swelling more quickly. Keep your follow-up appointments with your plastic surgeon so he or she can monitor your healing progress and communicate your concerns so you can get his or her advice. With regard to gland removal, it’s too soon in the recovery period to determine whether further intervention will be necessary to help you meet your goals.

Healing process

At only 2 weeks post op, you certainly have swelling that will mask your results. The lumpiness, numbness and hardness after smartlipo or other types of liposuction typically persists at least 8 weeks after the surgery then slowly goes away. In my experience, daily massage of the hard areas makes the biggest difference in getting rid of it sooner rather than later. It can take 4-6 months to see your final result. Hope this helps. 

Dean Vistnes, M.D.
Vistnes Plastic Surgery
San Francisco Bay Area

#liposuction #drdeanvistnes #realself

M. Dean Vistnes, MD
Bay Area Plastic Surgeon

Why does my chest look and feel and if nothing changed after chest liposuction? Its discouraging.

Thanks for your question and pictures.  You are still early in your healing period.  It will take at minimum 6 weeks to 3 months to see most of the swelling subside.  Continue with your compression and follow your surgeon's advice.

Naveen Setty, MD

Liposuction of chest - no change at 13 days

Thank you for asking about your chest liposuction.]
  • Your surgeon should have explained how we heal after liposuction.
  • You are unlikely to see much change in the next two weeks.
  • Swelling takes time to subside -
  • You should see improvement 6 weeks from surgery
  • You will not see your final result for 6 - 9 months.
  • Generally checking with your surgeon at 6 weeks and 6 months is helpfuil to see how things are going and if more treatment is needed.
Always see a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon. Best wishes  - Elizabeth Morgan MD PHD FAC

Chest lipo

You are likely pretty swollen and you will have to give it more time to heal. Best of luck with your results.