Would I be a candidate for a chin implant or sliding genioplasty? (Photos)

Before I had braces as a child, I wore a bionator to help fix my bite and I'm not sure how much it worked because I feel like I still have a small overbite. Also, my lips do not close naturally & when I talk just my two front teeth show. I know a chin implant will not help with asymmetries, is my chin/jaw area assymetrical? What do you recommend I do?

Would you be a candidate for a chin implant?

Without an exam your question cannot be answered.  You will need to see an Oral/Maxillofacial surgeon to see if othognathic surgery, genioplasty or using an implant is best for your specific case. It should be noted that patients with severely weak jaws or abnormally functioning jaws may be better treated with other facial surgery (orthognathic surgery), although a chin augmentation may be an option at a later time. These patients should seek the advice of a plastic surgeon to determine which course is right for them. Here is some information to help you make this decision: Candidates for Chin Augmentation - Patients whose chin profiles are weak but have normally functioning jaws are candidates for Chin Augmentation. Many of these candidates have used injectable fillers in the past to strengthen the protrusion of their chins, but are looking for a permanent solution. If you are one of these patients, then you are a likely candidate for chin augmentation

Would I be a candidate for a chin implant or sliding genioplasty?

A chin implant procedure is performed under local anesthesia as an outpatient procedure which takes approximately 30 minutes and cosmetically brings the chin forward. A sliding Genioplasty is performed when the teeth are significantly out of alignment. A sliding Genioplasty is performed by an oral surgeon under general anesthesia in a hospital setting with an overnight hospital stay. For more information  and many before and after examples of chin implants, please see the link and the video below

Small chin

It appears that the orthodontics did not address the 'smaller' lower jaw with a jaw surgery to advance the lower jaw to correct the 'overjet'. This is common unfortunately. At this point, you could consider a sliding genioplasty as well as jawline augmentation to 'imitate' the effect of a lower jaw advancement; and correct the profile to a large degree. Implants in the chin will not be ideal since the pressure from the overlying chin muscle will 'pull' the implant towards the chin bone when you try to put the lips together

Gerald Wittenberg, MSc, DMD
Vancouver Oral & Maxillofacial Surgeon

Hi, I have performed many Chin Augmentations using chin implants for over 30 years.  From the photos, your chin is weak.  A weak chin creates an imbalance making the nose appear larger, the mid face top heavy and the lower face look short that de-emphasizes the lips and allows early formation of a double chin.  Chin augmentation using a chin implant will add projection to the chin creating harmony and balance to the lower face. 

I have found that placement of a silastic chin implant, through a small curved incision under the chin (also allows excess skin removal) to be very safe, quick, highly effective and far less invasive than a sliding genioplasty.  I perform chin implant surgery in 30 minutes or less, often using a local anesthetic alone.  In my opinion, you are a good candidate for chin implant surgery.

Hope this helps.