Asian double eyelid surgery: what options for natural and no scars? (Photos)

I emailed with some doctors in Korea and they said I would need an incisional ptosis correction. I was wondering is it a good idea to go to Korea or should I stay in the states?what is the scarring like for eyelid crease surgery? I want a very natural look what option is best for me to ensure that I keep my natural eye shape and I don't want large creases. I want a small crease like my right eye in photo. It is not permanent. Is it possible to get a crease that small?

Natural creases in Asian eyelid surgery and scaring

There's no such thing as a no-scar in Asian eyelid surgery even with suture techniques.  However, I will tell  you from performing this surgery daily that incision are very hard to see the majority of the time after they have healed.  I prefer tapered natural creases most of the time and low creases with incisions that are difficult to see are very achieved able in almost every case.  I do prefer incision technique over suture because it's more precise and and I feel the incisions are actually less noticable since it's one smooth line and not a series of dots.  You should go to a surgeon who is accessable BUT also clearly performs this procedure frequently and has evidence to show experience not only in Asian eyelid surgery but in various types and styles of Double eyelid surgery and Asian blepharoplasty.

Chase Lay, MD

Bay Area Facial Plastic Surgeon

Natural looking double eyelid crease

You are a good candidate for micro-incision Asian blepharoplasty.  There's minimal scarring and it's perfect for patients who would like a small natural looking eyelid crease.  I do not think you'd need ptosis correction.  Whether you go to Korea/ stay in the US is your personal decision. Just make sure you do a lot of research and pick a surgeon who specializes in Asian blepharoplasty and who understands your aesthetic needs.  Good luck!

Goretti H. Taghva MD

Goretti Ho Taghva, MD

Asian Eyelid Surgery

About 50% of East Asians have a lower or absent skin crease of their upper eyelids.  This is due to a different level of insertion of the orbital septum upon the levator aponeurosis.  East Asians who have natural skin creases can have a tapering shape or a parallel shape.  The goal of the “ Asian eyelid” surgery is to re-position the orbital septum and create a crease that looks natural in shape.  Looking at your photos, I do not think you need ptosis correction surgery. There are experienced surgeons around the world that are capable of helping you; I would recommend that you choose the one that you are most comfortable with after a face to face consultation.

Jimmy C. Sung, MD

Asian Double Fold Eyelid surgery

You have presented an excellent question. I have performed hundreds of Asian Double Fold procedures and did focuses training in Taiwan.  There is a different approach for the Asian eyelid vs a Caucasian eyelid. A successful double fold surgery is virtually undetectable as the incision is hidden in the newly created upper eyelid fold. You can find a surgeon in the U.S. to perform this, however, ask for the number of cases the surgeon has performed and view before and after photos before proceeding.

Gilbert Lee, MD