11 months after my Rhinoplasty and my nose is still severely swollen and I have hardened scar tissue. Is this normal? (photo)

the tip of my nose is still very swollen &has a bulbous shape, also the scar tissue I was told would subside on its own but It has hardened. Will I have to go into another operation? It is almost as swollen as it was right after the cast came off. I have thick skin, but I'm afraid that maybe because of the weird scarring inside, the swelling might never go away. my doctor had broken the bone, but that also did not heal straight which you can see in the front photo or is that more swelling? Help!

11 months after my Rhinoplasty and my nose is still severely swollen and I have hardened scar tissue. Is this normal?

In thick-skinned patients, swelling, especially in the tip can be present for 18 months or longer.  In some cases, a kenalog (steroid) injection can be helpful.  Best wishes.

Rhinoplasty at 11 months

It is hard to compare this to your preop without seeing photos.  Most swelling should be gone, but there are some individuals that the swelling lasts longer.  No good explanation other than that.  

Revision, some advices:

Thank you very much for sharing your concerns about your Rhinoplasty with us.

After having analyzed all the info and photos provided to us, i recommend to perform a Secondary Rhinoplasty (not a tip revision) this means (basically) treat the nasal bones and the nasal cartilages.
Therefore i would perform a narrowing of the nasal base (nose osteotomy) and alar and triangular cartilage shaping.

Respectfully,
Dr. Emmanuel Mallol Cotes.-

Emmanuel Mallol Cotes, MD

Swelling after rhinoplasty

Dear Amanda Nicole,

The before pictures are important as well so a comparison can be made.  It is unlikely that you will have much changes to your nose after 11 months.  Generally most the swelling has subsided in 1 year.   Your nose does appear to be mildly bulbous but it is not a bad result by any means.  Some doctors inject steroids in the tip of the nose to reduce the swelling, however, it does carry risks of causing permanent damage to your nasal skin and indentation.  Visit your surgeon for an evaluation.   Best of luck, Dr. Michael Omidi

An in-person exam with a board-certified plastic surgeon is the best way to assess your needs and provide true medical advice.

Michael M. Omidi, MD, FACS

Nasal swelling after rhinoplasty.

It would help if we saw your pre-operative views.  I wouldn't describe your condition as severely swollen.  I do note a rounded tip on your base view.

At 11 months post surgery I would recommend that you continue to follow up with your primary surgeon.  Some improvement may be noted using small doses of steroid or massage.

If you have lost confidence in your surgeon seek out another qualified Specialist in your area.

Secondary surgeries can be very satisfying when both doctor and patient are in agreement.

Ernest Robinson, MD
Aliso Viejo Facial Plastic Surgeon