Any suggestions on reducing scarring after tummy tuck?

Scar recovery gel

I have tried almost everything out there on patients over the past 20 years and in my experience I think that a relatively new product called Scar Recovery Gel is the most effective product in minimizing the appearance of scars. It is available without a prescription but usually only available through a physicians office. I will usually recommend it for all patients and have them begin applying it to a new healing scar within a week of surgery. Consult with your plastic surgeon  regarding specific insrtructions for your particular case. Best wishes, Dean Vistnes. 

Bay Area Plastic Surgeon

Scar after tummy tuck

Certainly silicone gel seating, micropore tape with a myriad of scar creams can help. In our office we have developed protocols to remove red and thickness from any surgical scar. If both are present we deal with the thickness first. Fractional Erbium laser which is very small microscopic holes are placed into the scar as its forming and medications such as corticosteroids or anti-metabolites or combinations of both are dripped into the holes. Because it is fractional in nature this treatment needs to be repeated every 2 to 4 weeks. If then there's just redness or there's only redness to begin with but a flat scar we were treated with intense pulse light using wavelengths around 560 nm. Consult with a physician in your area with expertise in laser therapy. Good luck.

Marc J. Salzman, MD, FACS

Scar improvement

Silicone scar taping can be helpful.  We have also seen nice results with Biocorneum.
Good luck and take care,
Dr. Howell

Hampton Alexander Howell, MD
Winston Salem Plastic Surgeon

Treatment for Scarring after Tummy Tuck

The best treatment for scarring after tummy tucks and other procedures is to massage the scar once or twice a day, stay out of the sun and apply sunscreen if you are exposed to sunlight. Products that may be beneficial are silicone gels or sheets or other scar gels.

John A. Perrotti, MD

Tummy tuck scar

Thanks for your question.

A proactive approach for scar healing is preferred to post scarring treatments.

I usually tape my incisions for two weeks to reduce the tension, then I have my patients use a liquid silicone based product (Scar Gurad, Mederma etc) for several months.  Sunblock anytime the skin MAY be exposed to sunlight for the first year.

Finally, if hypertrophic (thickening ) or keloid scars occur, I inject steroids as needed.

Best of luck.

Dr. T

Douglas Taranow, DO, FACOS

Thank you for your question. I use a multi-faceted approach to incision improvement. I recommend scar massage to the incision several times a day with a lotion of the patient's choosing to help flatten and soften the scar. If the incision is going to be exposed to sun, then I recommend a sunblock with either titanium or zinc to prevent abnormal pigmentation of the incision. Patients can also wear a mechanical barrier instead of the sunblock, such as a bandaid if preferred. At night I recommend patients use silicone sheeting to further flatten and soften the incision line. Hope that this helps.

Scarring after tummy tuck

I recommend a silicone based scar cream with SPF after a tummy tuck.  This can be applied approximately 3 weeks after surgery as long as all the incisions are well healed. I would recommend checking with your plastic surgeon to see if that is best for your scars. Thanks for your question!

Chad Robbins, MD

I like Embrace scar therapy if high risk , silicone scar strips for all

The key to good scars is multifactorial:

1) a surgeon that has experience
2) your own healing ability: unfortunately not much to do there
3) postop care:  I personally use Embrace scar therapy when there is a history of prior hypertrophic scarring.  I use silicone gel strips (not the creams, but the actual strips) for all other patients.

Marwan R. Khalifeh, MD
Chevy Chase Plastic Surgeon

Scar question

Thank you for your question. I usual recommend to my patients ScarGuard (from Mentor) or Mederma (nonprescription). You can also get silicone gel pads to place over scars too from your doctor or internet. Good luck.

Neil T. Chen, MD
Albuquerque Plastic Surgeon