I am 190lb and 5'6". I'm 24 with two children. Do I need to lose a lot of weight before I get SX? (Photo)

I know I'm over weight but how much should I lose? The goal is to get my sx in June and have everything booked by January. I want to get a TT,BBL,BA ! The total shaaabag. I want to lose weight before I go and get this makeover I always say you can't just put all the work on the doctor. You got to want it.

Do I need to lose a lot of weight before I get surgery?

Thank you for the question and pictures. Generally speaking, it is always best to achieve long-term stable weight prior to proceeding with  body contouring surgery. Doing so, will increase the safety of the operation, will likely improve the outcome of the operation, and will decrease chances that additional surgery will become necessary subsequently.

In my practice, I do not ask specific patients to achieve a specific weight prior to proceeding with tummy tuck surgery. I simply ask patients to achieve a long-term stable weight where he/she feels comfortable and does not expect significant fluctuation postoperatively.  As you know, recruiting other professionals such as personal trainers, nutritionists, physicians who specialize in weight loss concerns etc. may be helpful to you.   You may find the attached link, helpful to you. Best wishes.

How much weight to lose before mommy make-over

Thank you for asking about your mommy make-over.

• If you lose 10 pounds, your BMI will be below 30 and you are a candidate for surgery.
  • But if you are looking for your best result, if you lose 50 pounds as or much as possible between now and your surgery, you will have a really, really good result.
  • You are correct - getting a good result is team work! 
  • So have your January consultation but also see the surgeon a second time shortly before surgery to be re-examined, especially if you lose the weight. It will help your surgical planning.
  • I assume you are planning no more children - you can have breast surgery if you plan more babies but the tummy tuck should be done after your children or pregnancy will undo the surgical result.
  • Enjoy your result!

Always see a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon. Best wishes. Elizabeth Morgan MD PHD FACS

I am 190lb and 5'6". I'm 24 with two children. Do I need to lose a lot of weight before I get SX?

I am not sure that you necessarily need to lose weight.  Some of this will depend upon the current anatomy and the goals for improvement.

How much weight should I lose before surgery>

Hi! I like my patients to be within 5-10lbs of their goal weight. This gives the best ability for optimum body contouring. It's important to partner with your surgeon and maintain a healthy lifestyle before and after surgery. Best of luck to you!

Surgery now versus losing weight.

It is generally recommended to lose weight first and also maintain that weight for at least 6 months before having plastic surgery. Your BMI is 30.7 and once you're below 30 your risk profile for surgery and anesthesia will be lessened. Since you're looking to still have full thighs and a buttock, I don't see that you have that far to go at this point. Good luck! Dr. ALDO :)

Aldo Guerra, MD

Weight and surgery, some advices:

Thank you very much for this interesting and important question. Trying to lose weight before a surgical procedure its a very delicate matter, since in many cases a restrictive diet can cause problems, such as anemia, electrolyte disturbances, decreased protein, etc ... retarding the healing process and damaging the surgery. For these reasons, if your purpose is to lose weight, i recommend you have a BMI less or equal to 30. In this regard, you must to have a support with a nutritionist, so you can achieve the desired goal, in the most healthy way, without incressing complications risks in the plastic surgery to perform.

Kind regards 

Emmanuel Mallol Cotes, MD

Mommy Makeover - Weight loss first?

Thank you for your question and photos.  I believe it is best to be within 10 - 15 pounds of your ideal body weight prior to surgery for optimal results. Please consult with a board certified plastic surgeon who specializes in body contouring for an in-person examination. Ask to see a lot of before and after pictures of their work to understand what can be achieved. Hope this helps and good luck.

The best long term cosmetic results with the least likelihood of potential complications are achieved in patients who weigh within 10 pounds of their ideal weight and have a BMI less than 30.

If a member of my family underwent these procedures, they would be performed by an experienced plastic surgeon who is board certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery and ideally a member of the American Society for Aesthetic Plastic Surgery. If you are serious about undergoing these procedures, you should have a thorough consultation with a plastic surgeon having those credentials, who will fully explain what is entailed in the procedures, including both the positives and potential problems. You should be complimented on the fact that you are seeking valid information before jumping into any procedure.

Robert Singer, MD FACS

La Jolla, California

Robert Singer, MD
La Jolla Plastic Surgeon

Surgery

Hello and thank you for your question.  The best advice you can receive is from an in-person consultation.   In my practice, I base the decision on when to operate on each individual patient's anatomy and degree of skin laxity.  There are some weight parameters which can be followed but I find skin laxity to be a much better predictor.  Make sure you specifically look at before and after pictures of real patients who have had this surgery performed by your surgeon and evaluate their results.  The most important aspect is to find a surgeon you are comfortable with. I recommend that you seek consultation with a qualified board-certified plastic surgeon who can evaluate you in person.

Best wishes and good luck.

Richard G. Reish, M.D.
Harvard-trained plastic surgeon

Best wishes and good luck.

Richard G. Reish, M.D.
Harvard-trained plastic surgeon

Richard G. Reish, MD

Losing weight before surgery

Many plastic surgeons use a measurement referred to as body mass index (BMI) as a guide to whether a patient is a good candidate for cosmetic surgery.  BMI takes into account your weight, but also your height as well. A BMI of 30 is oftentimes used as a cutoff for whether to proceed with surgery.  You can easily find a BMI calculator online to determine what your own BMI is. Ultimately however, your doctor will advise you as to whether you need to lose more weight.  In order to get a qualified, ethical, and expert opinion on your surgical options and expectations, always have an in-person consultation with a plastic surgeon certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery.

Keith M. Blechman, MD
New York, NY