So I just had my breast aug scheduled for Oct 28th but am still on the fence on saline or gel implants...Any advice?

Breast augmentation

For my patients, I recommend high profile sientra gummy bear silicone implants to create a round full result that looks and feels natural and has less rippling than saline implants. 
Sincerely,

James Fernau, MD, FACS
Board Certified ENT
Board Certified Plastic Surgery
Member of ASPS, ASAPS, ISAPS, The Rhinoplasty Society, AAFPRS, OTO/HNS, ASLMS, International Federation for Adipose Therapeutics & Science

Pittsburgh Plastic Surgeon

Saline vs silicone implants

Thanks for the question,

In my practice i usually recommend Cohesive Gel - silicone Breast Implants with textured cover ("gummy bear implants").
They are quite safe and aesthetically best as they give a firmer consistency, better projection and most natural appearance than Saline implants.
Respectfully,
Dr. Emmanuel Mallol Cotes.-

Emmanuel Mallol Cotes, MD

Breast Augmentation - Saline vs Silicone?

Thank you for your question. Your should discuss this question with your plastic surgeon.  Silicone implants provide a softer, more natural feel. Please see a board-certified plastic surgeon that specializes in aesthetic breast surgery. Hope this helps and good luck with your surgery.

Saline vs silicone gel implants

Dear madam,

Congratulation on your decision to have breasts augmentation with implants. This is one of the best investment in yourself , because it will increase your self esteem, confidence, sense of femininity and will make shopping real fun... 

However, not all results are the same, because experience , skills and aesthetic eye are critical for good outcome. So, do your due diligence carefully and choose your surgeon wisely, to avoid bad result and need for corrective surgery.

Always, consult with experienced board certified plastic surgeons who operate in accredited surgery center for your safety. Most importantly, check the before and after pictures in the photo gallery , to make sure that they are numerous, consistent and attractive with nice cleavage, perky, symmetrical and natural looking.

As far as selecting  type of implants. I have been in practice for over 29 and performed breasts augmentation with implants on thousands of patients. I use almost exclusively smooth, round , moderate profile saline implants made by Mentor for the following reasons:

1, Cost $1000 less than silicone gel implants.

2. Saline implants are associated, statistically, with less capsule contracture occurrence. 

3. Saline implants can be inserted through small incision on the sub areola line which is scar friendly, where as large silicone implants requires long incision in the sub mammary fold which is not scar friendly.

4. The sub areola incision allows for the creation of very nice cleavage under direct vision and feel, while the sub mammary incision is too far for easy dissection and consistent creation of nice cleavage as you can see in the different photo galleries. 

5. It is a myth that silicone gel implants are more natural than saline implant. I have removed many silicone gel implants and replaced them with saline implants to the delight of my patients.

6. In case of implant's leaking or rapture (very rare), it is very simple to replace saline implant and it can be done under local anesthesia, whereas replacement of raptured silicone gel implant is complex and requires general anesthesia for comfort.

I hope this helps,

Dr Widder

Silicone gel or saline for implants

I only use silicone gel filled implants although I could get saline if someone particularly wanted them. In the UK we never stopped using silicone and very few if any surgeons routinely use saline.

We think silicone is more natural in look and feel. Saline are more likely to break and if they  break will go flat very quickly (over night) so an immediate operation is likely to be necessary.

Good luck with your choice but in the UK it would almost certainly be silicone.

Jeremy S. Hurren, BSc, MBBS, FRCS (Plast)
Chichester Plastic Surgeon

Silicone or Saline Breast Implants

Thank you for your question. Saline and Silicone implants are both FDA approved and safe. The advantages of saline implants are that if they leak, the salt water in the implants will be absorbed by your body and the implant will deflate. If a silicone breast implant ruptures the silicone gel remains in the breast so you can have a silent leak. Because of this, the FDA recommends that you get an MRI every three years to look for silicone leakage. 

Because silicone is a denser material, it has a more natural feel and will not ripple like saline implants can.

A third option to consider is the Ideal Breast Implant. It is all saline so no silent rupture, but because of its structure, it looks and feels like gel implants.

Saline or silicone

This is a question that many patients have.  Both implants have an identical outer shell.  The difference is the fill material.  Most patients will choose silicone implants nowadays.  They are softer and more natural feeling.  If you have a good amount of breast tissue and are placing a modest size implant, this may not matter so much.  However, the silicone implants do feel more natural if the implant is providing a majority of the breast volume.  Silicone implants are reommended to have some additional surveilance with MRIs every few years to be sure the implants remain in tact.  The best thing is to feel each type in consultation with a board certified plastic surgeon and choose which is best for you.  

Brian A. Pinsky, MD
Long Island Plastic Surgeon

Personal choice

Both saline and silicone are good options. Most of may patients ( >90%) choose silicone because they tend to feel more natural.

Implants

I would recommend silicone gel, as it is the more modern implant with less long term complications (rippling, capsular contracture).  

I recommend an in-office examination as well as a detailed discussion with a surgeon who you are comfortable with and who is a Double-Board Certified Plastic Surgeon certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery.

Best wishes!

Dr. Desai
Harvard Educated, Beverly Hills & Miami Beach Trained, Double-Board Certified Plastic Surgeon

Breast augmentation question

Hello and thank you for the question. The MAIN difference between the two is feel. Silicone implants will generally feel closer to a natural breast than saline. Having said that, there are many many thousands of women who have saline and are perfectly happy. However, if you compare both side by side, most will prefer the feel of silicone. 

The cost tends to be higher for silicone vs saline and typically needs a slightly longer incision because silicone is prefilled vs filled via a short tube with saline. Both carry a lifetime guaranty against rupture of the implant. 

Saline implants also have a drawback with visible rippling on the sides of the breast. This is more common in very thin patients. 

As always, best to be healthy, no smoking, and make sure any health concerns you have are managed by your primary care md. 

Best to you.