Should I have gone bigger? (Photos)

I had my breast aug yesterday, and am a little depressed and disappointed...they don't look much different from the 34b I started with and I had 400cc mentor silicone implants put in under...will the look bigger in time?

Should I have gone bigger breast implants?

You look excellent for early post op. The 400cc implants should give you a beautiful full look after they drop over the next 3 months. Wait 3 months to evaluate-they will look bigger, fuller and more natural after dropping.

Will they look bigger in time?

Yes! Congratulations on your breast augmentation!! It looks very nice already. As far as size, the skin will stretch to accommodate your 400 cc breast implants. They should get bigger, but speak with your plastic surgeon and seek guidance from them about what to expect. Best, Dr. Aldo

Aldo Guerra, MD

Should I have gone bigger?

Give yourself time to heal.  It takes weeks for the breast to settle and the tissues to relax.  You may feel different in a few weeks.  400 cc implants are relatively large.

Robert E. Zaworski, MD

Hang in there

Since you just had your procedure, your tissues haven't had time to relax - so you won't see the final size or shape quite yet.  Swelling will go down over about 3 weeks.  Tissues will settle over about 2 months.  For most people, a 400 cc implant will make them about 2 cup sizes different - so yes, you should see an obvious difference compared to where you started.  Hang in there.

Breast Implants/Breast Augmentation/Anatomic Gummy Bear Implants/ Silicone Implants/Breast Implant Revision Surgery

I appreciate your question.

Right now, you are very early on in the post op recovery period. It will take 3-6 months for you to feel comfortable having implants in your body and for them to settle. This time allows for you to physically and psychologically adapt to your new body image. There are many variables that contribute to a breast augmentation's final result. Preop size and shape, IMF location, location of the implants and type of implant. Patients heal at different rates and each breast will sometimes heal at a different rate. Rest, relax, recover and heal. Express your concerns to your surgeon so he/she can examine you. Then reassess final result at 6 months.

The best way to assess and give true advice would be an in-person exam.

Please see a board-certified plastic surgeon that specializes in aesthetic and restorative breast surgery.

Dr. Schwartz

#RealSelf100Surgeon

#RealSelfCORESurgeon

Should I have gone bigger?

Congratulations on your recent Breast Augmentation surgery.  Implants that are placed under the muscle do look smaller in the beginning as the muscle needs to relax and allow the implants to settle in pocket.  400 cc implant is a very good size to get a nice increase in your breast size.  Remember that the final result will take time and possibly up to 6 months.  Good luck.

Eric Schaffer, MD
San Antonio Plastic Surgeon

Give it time

Since you just had the procedure it's not been enough time for the implants to settle - that typically will take weeks to months with the final result apparent closer to about 3 months. With 400 cc implants you most likely will be at least 2 cup sizes with your chest frame so do give it time ........ and pls follow up with your plastic surgeon cos he or she can advise you even better based on his findings at surgery.

Ben (Uzoma) Gbulie, MD

Should I have gone bigger?

Congratulations on having undergone the breast augmentation procedure.  Your plastic surgeon will always be your best resource when it comes to accurate assessment and advice.

Generally speaking, breast implants will "drop" into the pocket that was created during surgery. The rate of breast implant "settling" may depend on factors such as size of breast implant pocket dissected, tightness of the overlying skin/muscle layers, and size of breast implant utilized. Normally, it takes about 3-6 months (for some patients longer) to see the final result. 

Many of my patients report that as the swelling around the breast implants (for example, in the sternal area) decreases, they feel that their breasts appear more projecting (and that they have better "cleavage"). Also, in my opinion, the "drop and fluff” phenomenon does hold some validity; as breast implants “settle”, many patients feel that their breasts actually look larger. Similarly, it takes a few months for the breasts to "soften" in most cases.  Most of my patients tell me that their breast implants feel "part of them" somewhere between 3 to 6 months after surgery was performed.  

There is definitely a physiologic and "psychological" (body image)  adaptation process that occurs, at differing rates for every patient, for patients who undergo any type of aesthetic surgery, including breast  augmentation surgery.  Understandably, patients often experience significant emotional "ups and downs" around the time of surgery.

At this point, I would suggest: rest, recovery, and (although easier said than done) patience.

Best wishes for an outcome that you will be very pleased with.