Should I have gone bigger?

So I had my breast aug this morning, I don't know how I feel about it..I started out a 34 low B and got 400 cc mentor silicone implants....after my surgery I feel that I'm not I'm much bigger than I was before.... should I have gone bigger?

Nervous about size choice

For most people, a 400 cc implant will give them about a 2 cup size boost, which should get you in the D range.  So, while its difficult to accurately say without photos or examining you, it seems like a very reasonable choice.  Remember, immediately after surgery, you are not going to see the final results until the tissues relax and everything settles in - which takes 2-3 months.

Breast Implants/Breast Augmentation/Anatomic Gummy Bear Implants/ Silicone Implants/Breast Implant Revision Surgery

I appreciate your question.

Right now, you are very early on in the post op recovery period. It will take 3-6 months for you to feel comfortable having implants in your body and for them to settle. This time allows for you to physically and psychologically adapt to your new body image. There are many variables that contribute to a breast augmentation's final result. Preop size and shape, IMF location, location of the implants and type of implant. Patients heal at different rates and each breast will sometimes heal at a different rate. Rest, relax, recover and heal. Express your concerns to your surgeon so he/she can examine you. Then reassess final result at 6 months.

The best way to assess and give true advice would be an in-person exam.

Please see a board-certified plastic surgeon that specializes in aesthetic and restorative breast surgery.

Dr. Schwartz

#RealSelf100Surgeon

#RealSelfCORESurgeon

Should I have gone bigger?

Congratulations on your recent surgery.  400 cc implants are a very common size and one that will give you a nice result.  I understand your concerns over size but your final result will take some time.  The implants need time to settle and muscles relax which can take up to 6 months. 

Eric Schaffer, MD
San Antonio Plastic Surgeon

Should I have gone bigger?

I'm sorry to hear about the concerns you are experiencing after breast surgery. Given that you are very fresh out of surgery, it is quite likely that you are experiencing significant “emotional ups and downs” unnecessarily. You should be aware that a significant percentage of patients at your stage of recovery will feel that they are too big or (more commonly) too small. I routinely ask my patients to wait at least 3-6 months before evaluating the end results of the breast augmentation surgery. This waiting time allows patients to (usually) physically and psychologically adapt to the new body image. 

In other words, it is much too early to evaluate the outcome of the procedure performed; your breasts will undoubtedly change over the course of the next several weeks/months.   The vast majority of patients with your concerns at your stage in the recovery process, turn out to be much happier two to three months after the procedure was performed.

For example, many of my patients report that as the swelling around the breast implants (for example, in the sternal area) decreases, they feel that their breasts appear more projecting. Also, in my opinion, the "drop and fluff” phenomenon does hold some validity; as breast implants “settle”, many patients feel that their breasts actually look larger. 

Although online consultants cannot predict whether or not you will be pleased with the long-term outlook, of the procedure performed, it is safe to predict that the breasts will change. Do your best to stay emotionally even keeled. I would suggest continued patience and continued close follow-up with your plastic surgeon.

Best wishes for an outcome that you will be pleased with.

Should I have gone bigger?

It's too early to worry at this point. There is no way that you could have had 400cc implants put in without increasing at least a bit in size. Its very common for patients to have regrets (up to 70% of patients!) initially after surgery but those regrets disappear in the vast majority of patients by about a month after surgery. If you are really concerned then book a follow up with your surgeon so they can reassure you. Best of luck!  

Mathew A. Plant, MD, FRCSC