What treatment can be used to correct my proptosis? (Photo)

I am 19 y/o and concerned about the appearance of my eyes and possibility of graves/thyroid disease. Is surgery the best route and if so what are the specifics that I should be aware of including cost, surgeons, etc.

Eye proptosis from Graves' disease

This is a really good question that relates to a lot of people.  Fortunately, you do not appear to be one of the people who have Graves' disease and the associated orbitopathy is seen in a minority of patients who have that disorder.  What you are noticing is that you have a strong brow line, called the frontal bar of the facial skeleton, and maybe less skeletal prominence of the infraorbital/cheek region.  This is something that happens with guys as they get older: They lose the baby fat in their face, the face becomes more angular, and as a result softer and more round features take a greater prominence due to contrast.  If you are medically concerned about having Graves disease, then he should see her primary care physician.  If you are concerned about the way your eyes appear then it would be important to review your concerns with a specialist who not only treats eyes, but the surrounding structures around them.  Hopefully his helps to answer your question.

Be healthy and be well,

James M. Ridgway, M.D., FACS

Bellevue Facial Plastic Surgeon

What treatment can be used to correct my proptosis?

It is unlikely that you have thyroid eye disease. The relative proptotic eyes you have is likely inherited. See an oculoplastic for evaluation. Treatment is possible.

Mehryar (Ray) Taban, MD, FACS
Beverly Hills Oculoplastic Surgeon

You are not exhibiting proptosis.

Thyroid disease is an auto immune disorder.  The most common condition is an over production of thyroid hormone.  This causes hyper metabolic symptoms including heat intolerance, weight loss, palpitation, fatigue, tremor.  Only a small percentage of individuals with Graves disease develop eye changes.  As indicated, your photographs do not show any changes consistent with thyroid related eye disease.  I recommend if you are concerned seeing your primary care physicians for the appropriate screening tests.  Should these support the diagnosis, they will be able to make the appropriate referrals.