Can a injection at the top of the mid cheek just under the eye area, improve both tear troughs and the nasolabial folds?

The doctor says he would use Juvaderm (either ultra or ultra plus I'm not sure which he said) to inject the top of the cheek near to, but not directly under the eye. He says it will fill out the under eye and tear trough plus pull the nasolabial folds up to make the mid face tighter and the folds less pronounced. Is this correct and is Juvaderm the best product? I've read a lot about restylane too but know that doesn't last as long. I'm 37.

Juvederm can lift surrounding tissue at times so when tear troughs are filled the cheeks may look better

It may be possible in some patients, but not all as people have different anatomical variations, to see less of a smile fold after the tear trough is injected but it also can depend on the technique whether it is injected deeply or superficially.

The information provided in Dr. Shelton's answer is for educational purposes only and is not intended to constitute medical advice.  The information provided should not be relied upon as a substitute for consultations with a qualified health professional who may be familiar with your individual medical needs

Manhattan Dermatologic Surgeon

Thanks for your query. Yes, it does when cheek augmentation is done tear trough becomes light automatically. Juvederm volume will be the best product to augment. Hope it helps.

All The Best

Ajaya Kashyap, MD
India Plastic Surgeon

Voluma Cheek Filling to help Soften Tear Troughs and NLFs

Dear eddie10:

Cheek filling with Voluma, to some extent would help soften up the tear troughs and nasolabial folds but this varies from patient to patient depending particularly on volume loss in these areas.  Best wishes.

If you are trying to add volume to the cheeks, Voluma does a nice job of this.  It will have a subtle effect on the nasal labial folds as the mid face is slightly lifted.  If your main concern is the nasal labial folds, you may want the product placed there as well.  

Camille Cash, MD

Injectables for cheeks

Hello! There are now many options for cheek augmentation. Most of my patients receive a combination of different products for different areas. My favorite for the cheek though is definitely Voluma- which can SUBTLY improve the nasolabial fold and volumize the mid face for about 2 years. I prefer Restylane for the tear trough itself. I use Juverderm most commonly for the nasolabial fold itself but since Voluma came onto the market a couple of years ago prefer that for the cheek. Find an injector experienced with a wide variety of products and someone with ideally at least a platinum if not diamond rating from Allergan (that typically indicates an office has extensive use of their products). Good luck!

Catherine Winslow, MD
Indianapolis Facial Plastic Surgeon

Hello, and thanks for your question. The answer is yes, and the best product for this in my experience is Voluma, which is made by Allergan (makers of Juvederm). Sculptra can also be a great product for someone who is an appropriate candidate. In order to determine the best treatment plan for you, I recommend an in-person consultation with an expert. Best of luck, Dr. Frucht.   

Corey Frucht, MD, PhD
Santa Barbara Dermatologic Surgeon

Can Juvederm filler for mid cheek also improve the tear troughs and nasolabial folds?

Thank you for your question. It is very difficult to answer without looking at your photo. Based on your age and the information you have provided, replacing the mid face volume might improve the under eye area. Pulling the nasolabial folds with midcheek fillers alone depends upon the preexisting volume and skin laxity. Voluma is an excellent choice for midface augmentation. The final outcome depends upon the skill and expertise of the physician you choose.

Can an injection at the top of the mid cheek just under the eye area improve both tear troughs and the nasolabial folds?

Thank you for sharing your question.  Though nothing replaces an in-person examination, placement of dermal fillers into the mid-face, near the apex of the cheek can help to elevate and improve the nasolabial folds as well as take the tension off of the lower eyelid region to improve its appearance. In most instances additional filler will be needed to further smooth the lid-cheek junction but this is a good place to start.  Best wishes. 

Fillers in cheeks

it sounds like voluma is being discussed. Voluma in the cheek has been shown to improve the tear trough and nasolabilal folds. If you are not satisfied get a second opinion and also ask questions to your doctor. 

Rebecca Baxt, MD
Paramus Dermatologic Surgeon

Cheek Filler

Thank you for your question.  It is difficult to comment without seeing a photograph.  In general, I prefer to use Voluma for correction of age-related volume loss in the midface or cheek area.  This can provide an upward lift with softening of the nasolabial folds, while at the same time improving the tear trough or undereye area.  Beautiful and natural results can be achieved.  Voluma is specifically designed for a deeper injection in the midface or cheek area, with results lasting for up to 2 years.  Please be sure to see an expert injector for an in-person consultation to fully discuss your goals and expectations in order to determine the best treatment plan.  Hope this helps and best wishes!