Dry eyes 4 weeks after upper and lower blepharoplasty.

I've never suffered from dry eyes before, and as far as I'm aware, my eyes close fully when I sleep. I've tried all the night ointments and eye drops, but they just seem to make things worse. My surgeon has told me to contact an ophthalmologist if the problem isn't resolved by week six. Could I be sleeping with my eyes partially opened without knowing it? I also have some dissolvable stitches remaining in the corners of my eyes that are very sore. Could they be contributing to my eye dryness?

Dry eyes after eyelid surgery

Thanks for sharing your question. I can appreciate your concern.

There are many reasons for dry eyes after eyelid surgery. Swelling usually is the main reason. In some cases excessive removal of skin exposes the eyes at night favoring the dry eye symptoms.

Finally, make sure that your doctor is aware of your process. He should be able to guide you best in your care.

Wishing you the best in your journey

You need to use the night ointment every night and possible tape the eyes shut. Usually with time and topical care to prevent further dying the problem resolves. See an ophthalmologist now and following their directions exactly.

Curtis Perry, MD
Downey Facial Plastic Surgeon

At this point, there should no longer be any exposure sutures.

Inflammation after surgery does contribute to dry eye.  However, surgery can permanently weaken blink function which is why it is so important to have a complete and objective eye examination prior to eyelid surgery.  Some individuals have dry eye before eyelid surgery and may not be a candidate for eyelid surgery or may need a modified blepharoplasty to minimize worsening dry eye.  Some post eyelid changes portent significant complications with dry eye after surgery including lower eyelid malposition and over aggressive upper eyelid resection.  In the absence of these issues, it may take 6 to 8 weeks for the eyes to settle down.  I strongly encourage to to be assessed by an ophthalmologist or an oculoplastic surgeon to determine how best to help your current situation.  Yes having the eyes open while you sleep is a problem.  You need help.

Dry eyes

Any of the things you mentioned could be happening.  Use a gel type eye lubricant at night and be liberal with artificial tears during the day.  Schedule an appointment with your surgeon to make sure there is no foreign body or suture material, which is unlikely.  This normally resolves within a couple months, but seeing an opthalmologist may not be a made idea. Good luck,  Jane

Dry eyes after blepharoplasty

Some dryness of eyes is common after blepharoplasty.  As well as your eyelashes being numb for some months, division of the small nerves to the lid margins affects the glands that secrete an oily liquid, which helps lubricate your eyes.  This is usually self limited as the lids re-innervate.  

As you are symptomatic, use lubricants.

If your eyes are staying open at night, consider taping them shut, whilst you sleep.

As your sutures are creating problems, go back and see your surgeon, to have them removed.

Douglas McGeorge, MBChB
Liverpool Plastic Surgeon