Breast lift; teenager, 19yrs old. 200lbs & looking to lose 40lbs.

At what weight can I perform my breast lift? If I have 40 pounds to loose and I loose 20 can I perform my breast lift? Will the results remain the same??

Breast lift

Thank you for your question.  You should reach your goal weight prior to undergoing this procedure.  Please be evaluated in person by a surgeon who is board certified in plastic surgery to determine what you can realistically expect from the surgery.

Weight Loss Before a Breast Lift

Dear aj125, it is best if you lose all of your desired weight before undergoing a breast lift, as losing more than a few pounds after a breast lift can make the breasts appear saggy, deflated, or otherwise detract from the great work that your surgeon performed on the breasts. Unfortunately, without having consultation with you in person, it is difficult to say how much weight you could lose post-surgery and not affect the results of your breast lift.

Best Weight to Perform Surgery

In general, the best time to perform any type of aesthetic surgery is when you are at your stable weight because tissues and skin can change with weight gain and weight loss. If you are going to go through the process and expense of having elective surgery, it is in your best interest to minimize any potential complications.

If you had a breast augmentation and lost 20 pounds more, this could potentially affect how your breasts look. If your breasts have a relatively high fat content relative to the glandular tissue, the weight loss could affect the size of the breasts and you might end up smaller than you like. Likewise, if your skin loosens with the weight loss you may need some skin tightening. My suggestion for you would be to lose all 40 pounds, or as close to it as you think you can first, and then proceed with surgery after you have stabilized at a weight you can maintain for the long term.

Robert Cohen, MD
Santa Monica Plastic Surgeon

Breast lift - how much weight loss before surgery?

Thank you for your question about your breast lift.

• Here is the problem -
  • Being over-weight, the weight of your breasts makes them sag.
  • To reduce the risk that they sag again - you must lose all the weight you need to lose before a breast lift.
  • Then the breast lift will tighten the loose skin.
  • If you cannot lose the weight - then you may need a breast reduction, not a breast lift.
  • At your age though - go for the weight loss! We want you to live a long and happy life -
  • And to do that, you need to be a normal weight. I am sure you can do it - remember exercise and control of calories is the way to healthy weight loss. Change how you live - don't crash diet.
Always consult a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon.
Best wishes. Elizabeth Morgan MD PHD FACS

the absolute best scenario is that you reach your goal weight, remain stable then have the lift; however, I am willing to perform the lift when patients are within 20 lbs of their goal weight.  ask your surgeon. 

Ethan Philpott, MD
Phoenix Plastic Surgeon

Breast Lift

Hi AJ,
You will get the best result by getting down to your fighting weight because you could compromise your result by adding more saggy skin to your breasts by losing the next 20 lbs. postop.  See the link below showing breast lift patients.  Go for it.  All the best, Dr. Joe

You should loose full 40 lbs before surgery

Do not go for half measures. Loose all the unwanted weight and then have mastopexy for the best outcome. 

Vasdev Rai, MD

It is ok to gain weight after a breast lift but not lose weight. If you lose 20 pounds after a breast lift your breasts will sag again. Lose all the weight you plan to lose before haveoing a breast lift.

Breast Lift

Unfortunately, without pictures or more information, it's difficult to make any specific recommendations.  I do think consulting with a local plastic surgeon would be helpful, and they can discuss the options and the best timing for you.

Daniel Krochmal, MD
Chicago General Surgeon

Breast Lift, Teenager

Thank you for your question. Several factors should influence your surgical timing. First, it should be established that your breast size is stable with no growth for 6 months to 1 year as some teenager's breasts may grow beyond age 19. Your ideal weight would be determined by your height and weight, thus an optimal BMI prior to surgery.
You may also want to consult your local BCPS now to guide you through your weight loss processes in preparation for surgical planning. Also, be aware that even 15 lb weight fluctuations may effect your post surgical aesthetic result. Best of luck! 

Christina Y. Ahn, MD