What is causing my facelift scars to keep erupting? Bead like substance keeps coming out. Feels Like glass or splinters (Photo)

Had face lift 6 months ago had complication of skin necrosis which left a scar @ 3 months skin started to open and stitches I thought kept coming out but now 2 months later won't heal keeps oozing and little pebbles keep erupting PS gave steroids first said it was hair follicles it almost healed after that but then reopened PS says he doesn't know what it is referred me to derm 2 mo wait for appt I returned to PS and asked for antibiotic 1 1/2 weeks not healed and I think it is abcessed

May Be Time for a Second Opinion

Oh dear! I'm so sorry to read about your ongoing troubles with your facelift incisions. This is certainly not normal, and you deserve answers. I believe that your surgeon is on the right track with hair follicles as the cause. What you describe could also be the result of a reaction to the sutures or an ongoing infection. While you wait for your appointment with the dermatologist, consider seeing another plastic surgeon near you for a second opinion. Best of luck to you.

Sutures or follicles

Sorry to hear your story.
These could be hair follicles or it could be the sutures that were used at surgery.
Check with your doc on the type of suture.

Facelift with skin necrosis persisting?

Skin necrosis after facelifting can occur.  When it does wound care is appropriate.  This may be performed with daily cleaning using a Q-tip/gauze and peroxide.  Moisture using Aquaphor or similar ointment is used to cover the area daily.  Try not to lift any scabs and continue to follow up with your surgeon.

If the areas drainage persist after 6 months, I would consider culturing the area and then treating the area with a topical antibiotic, such as Bactroban to cover for Staph.  I would also start with an antibiotic that covers for Staph too, such as Septra.

Following this treatment I find this heals with a very acceptable scar.

Again, discuss these issues with your doctor and see him ASAP if it is still draining.

Ernest Robinson, MD
Aliso Viejo Facial Plastic Surgeon

What you described is unusual.  It sounds like you are having a reaction to the sutures or hair follicle issues. You need on going treatment from your surgeon or seek a second opinion.

Robert E. Zaworski, MD

Thank you for your question and photos
Sorry this has been such an ongoing struggle. From the photos it appears that you have chronic inflammation which can be caused by untreated infection or reaction to a foreign body i.e. suture. A combination of both is certainly very plausible. Absorbable suture is usually dissolved in this amount of time but can still be present. At six months the inflammation is now chronic with the inciting agent still not resolved. You may require wound exploration  with debridement and cultures to determine  what is the ongoing source. Cultures would allow help to pick the appropriate antibiotic if infection is present and removal of granulomatous tissue and any suture material would likely help to calm things down. I would follow your surgeons advice so they can lead you through this difficult period
Best of Luck

Lee A. Gibstein, MD

Six Months after My Lift My Face Contiues to "Erupt"

Without an examination my response is speculation but you probably continue to have permanent sutures come through the compromised skin. You need ongoing treatment by your surgeon or get a second opinion.

Face lift complications

It is possible that infection started to form foreign body granulomas along with necrosis of skin and you continue to have extrusion of suture material mixed with foreign body granulomas.  A culture should be obtained by taking a piece of tissue and sending it for culture and biopsy.  This will determine if there is any infection that still might be hiding and might require antibiotics.  In the meantime keeping the area clean by using hydrogen peroxide 3 times a day and applying Vaseline would be a good approach to the scars settle down.

Although uncommon, it is possible that you're allergy to some of the suture material.

Dr. J

Tanveer Janjua, MD
Bedminster Facial Plastic Surgeon

Delayed healing of facelift

Based on the photos and your history, my best guess is that you have some buried permanent sutures that are causing this problem. I don't use them in facelift surgery- I just use sutures on the surface of the skin that are removed at one week. Ask your surgeon if he used any buried permanent sutures.

Sean Maguire, MD
Louisville Facial Plastic Surgeon

What is causing my facelift scars to keep erupting? Bead like substance keeps coming out. Feels Like glass or splinters

Must rule out a MRSA infection. I might try PRP infusion therapy q weekly. Fees from $800 per session.

Thank you for your question.  I'm sorry this has happened to you.

I agree with the other posts on this board.  I would continue to follow with your surgeon.  It is likely the sutures used that are continuing to cause the problem.  If they are permanent sutures, they will likely need to be removed to facilitate healing.  Simply placing you on a short course of antibiotics won't help if the permanent suture is infected.