Why does the lower half of my abdomen look like it has a small "baby bump" after a tummy tuck? (Photos)

Had tummy tuck in November 2015. Lower half of abdomen was not completely flat so surgeon went back in April 2016 & did some lipo in that area, that didn't make a difference so I don't think it was fat. He said to wait bc it takes a full year to heal. I'm coming up on 1 year & still have "baby bump" look & my stomach is still very tender. Could something be wrong? Photos attached are from before & then about 6 weeks after, then photos today. "Baby bump" noticeable in after photos.

Small "Baby Bump" After Tummy Tuck

Most patients will be placed in an abdominal binder, which they will wear the first week. There is usually a fair amount of swelling and the binder should be opened several times a day so that there are no pressure points. After the first 7 to 10 days the patient is placed in an elastic garment for compression over the next six weeks.

Swelling can persist for several months and will gradually improve and will look better at three months, six months, and even one year. Frequently the pubic area and the scrotal and penis area for men can become very swollen and discolored during the first two weeks due to gravity as this is the lowest area for swelling to accumulate.

Considering that it has been more than a year since your procedure it would be a good idea to visit your surgeon for an examination if you find yourself unhappy with your results. Usually the key to positive results are reasonable expectations. Best of luck.

In person examination

I am sorry that your results are less than your expectations. The techniques for tummy tuck and use of liposuction varies and not sure what was done during first surgery.  Please see your surgeon for further evaluation.

Kamran Khoobehi, MD
New Orleans Plastic Surgeon

It seems from the photos that you are still very swollen.  Touch base with your surgeon to inform him/her of your recovery status.  You cannot judge a result until at least 6 moths after the procedure because the swelling can significantly distort the end result.

Baby bump?

Tough one to answer on this forum  The photos you included do help to see the progression but an exam would be necessary to be more precise.  It does not look right I agree.  There is some thing going on for sure.  I would suggest getting an imaging study (CT scan) to see what is going on.  There are multiple explanations and this would be a good place to start.  Good luck.  Hope this helps.

Bhupesh Vasisht, MD
Voorhees Plastic Surgeon

Late swelling

There could be some old scar tissue that developed around a fluid collection. It is better to wait and allow the tissue to soften before trying anything surgically 

David R. Alfonso, MD, FACS
Grand Rapids Plastic Surgeon