Is my hair thinning getting worse? (photos)

I've lost hair during a year or so, It's been getting thinner all over my head but It's mostly visible at my crown, my eyebrows have also been thinning. I have three pictures, the first one is taken January 2016 and the other two are recent (today).

You need a diagnosis first for pattern hair loss - if so it can be stopped with a single treatment that lasts years

Thank you for your question. You submitted two photos: one from January this year, and another several months later, and ask if your hair is thinning, and also mention your eyebrows are thinning.

I can give you some guidance for your concern. A little background: I’m a Board-certified cosmetic surgeon and Fellowship-trained oculofacial plastic and reconstructive surgeon. I have been in practice in Manhattan and Long Island for over 20 years. I’m the founder of TrichoStem™ Hair Regeneration Centers, which is based on a system we developed in our practice to non-surgically treat male and female pattern hair loss with over 99% success, using a treatment with platelet-rich plasma (PRP) and acellular matrix. I’ll give you some overall perspective on how we evaluate hair loss in our practice.

First, it’s important to diagnose the cause of hair loss. The majority of patients who come to us reflect the major cause of hair loss - 95% of hair loss is genetic pattern hair loss in males and females. When we evaluate a patient, we ask about age of onset, rate of progression, look at family history, age of onset within the family, and then we do a microscopic evaluation with standardized photography.

One of the things I am concerned about with the history you mentioned is your eyebrows are also thinning. Generally for male pattern hair loss, we don’t expect to have concurrent eyebrow thinning. You should see dermatologist to least establish you don’t have any other cause for hair loss, such as something inflammatory or of the scarring nature.

Assuming you have male pattern hair loss, I can suggest to you the different options we present to our patients. First is the pharmaceutical option, which includes topical minoxidil (brand name Rogaine) or the oral medication finasteride (brand name Propecia). These drugs have their benefits and their limitations. It is not unusual for someone to start treating their hair loss with Rogaine or minoxidil. It’s applied topically and it does help a little bit but doesn’t stop progression. With finasteride, the challenge is you have to take a pill daily, and studies show a lot of men do not continuously take these pills. By the second year, majority of people stopped taking them. There are exceptions - I have patients I’ve been prescribing finasteride to since the introduction in 1997, so there are people who can take the pill daily. The challenge we are dealing with now is there are concerns about long-term sexual side effects  associated with finasteride, although from the medical community, that question still remains open.

That said, we developed a treatment based on the wound healing technology we used to help heal hair transplants called Hair Regeneration. Hair Regeneration is a combination of acellular matrix used for wound healing, combined with platelet-rich plasma and other factors we developed over time in a way  that we  get 99% success in terms of stopping progression of hair loss, reactivating hair that has not been growing, and inducing the shedding of thinning hairs so they grow back thicker. With more than 5 years of data, we have seen long-term benefit well beyond 5 years. We still treat everybody as individuals and follow their results very closely.

The take home message is if you want to do something about your hair loss, do something sooner rather than later. The limitation of any treatment, whether it’s pharmaceutical, surgical, or non-surgical like Hair Regeneration is how fast you’re progressing, and the presence of hair follicles. We are treating people as young as 17-years-old and in their late teens who are coming with their parents. We sometimes take biopsies to further establish pattern hair loss. The onset of hair loss can be relatively young, so the earlier we catch someone, the better it is.

I recommend you meet with a physician to figure out the cause of your hair loss. Although your photos reflect more of a diffuse pattern which is consistent with genetic pattern, and statistically it is more likely to be genetic pattern, it’s very important to still have a proper evaluation and get the right diagnosis, and learn about your options based on that diagnosis. I hope that was helpful, I wish you the best of luck and thank you for your question.

This personalized video answer to your question is posted on RealSelf and on YouTube. To provide you with a personal and expert response, we use the image(s) you submitted on RealSelf in the video, but with respect to your privacy, we only show the body feature in question so you are not personally identifiable. If you prefer not to have your video question visible on YouTube, please contact us.

New York Oculoplastic Surgeon

Crown hair loss

Many men start seeing the balding process in the crown first. This is probably genetic and if you are under the age of 35, you might see a doctor and ask for the drug finasteride which may reverse the hair loss.

William Rassman, MD
Los Angeles Hair Restoration Surgeon

Sop the thinning with PRP

Hello Defli. For what I see I will recommend that you consider a treatment to reduce the speed/stop your hair from thinning. Treatments such as  PRP (Platelet Rich Plasma) is proven to be very effective and will help your hair regain its healthy look and density. Keep in mind that the use of non surgical treatments is to be continued for life in order to be effective and to avoid going back to hair loss or thinning.A consultation will be ideal to detect the exact problem and look for the best possible solution.Best of Lucks

William Yates, MD
Buffalo Grove Hair Restoration Surgeon