What is the best treatment for stress/hormonal induced melasma? (Photo)

Hi, I have melasma quite evenly across my face. I was having q switch laser treatments which were great and then went without treatments for almost three months. I have been offered a combination of You laser MT for the vascular component and q switch or another clinic offered a combination of Mercury laser genesis using numbing cream for the vascular component and Gentlelase pro, the second clinic also said this will give a facelift and tighten the skin around my eyes which I want as well.

Melasma treatments.

Melasma can not be completely cured, however effective treatment are possible. This is because your skin is extremely sensitive to UV and even the smallest amount can stimulate your pigment cells to produce colour. The mainstay of treatment is strict UV protection- hats, sunglasses and SPF every 4 hours.

I prefer to use a combination of creams and laser for melasma. Hydroquinone can be used (5-8%), along with vitamin A creams. I usually start my patients on laser (low dose Q switch or Picosure) a few weeks after they commence on creams.

In some cases I combine glycolic AHA peels, and in other cases I use a tablet called Tranexamic acid to help.  All the best, Dr Davin Lim. Laser, surgical and aesthetic dermatologist. Brisbane, Australia 

Brisbane Dermatologist

What is the best treatment for stress/hormonal induced melasma

Hi there, Melasma is inflammatory and extremely difficult to treat. It can be caused by hormones plus sun damage. I would strongly recommend the Fraxel Laser, Vi peels and Total Defense and Repair sun block for you to put on everyday and reapply frequently. I wish you good luck as you will need life long treatment. My best, Dr. Downie

Jeanine B. Downie, MD
Montclair Dermatologic Surgeon

Melasma Treatment--Best Treatment Is Clear + Brilliant / Fraxel / Aerolase w Microneedling/prp

You're on the right track. It requires a combination approach to treat melasma.  I recommend getting a formal consultation with a cosmetic dermatologist for best treatment options. We currently use clear + brilliant with bleaching and microneedling/prp and getting amazing results. I suggest you see an expert. You will need lifelong treatment, sun protection, skin care. But these treatments can give you improvement and then help you maintain. Best , Dr. Emer.