Best treatment for hormonal Melasma? (photos)

Hi, I have melasma quite evenly across my face. I was having q switch laser treatments which were great and then went without treatments for almost three months. I have been offered a combination of You laser MT for the vascular component and q switch or another clinic offered a combination of Mercury laser genesis using numbing cream for the vascular component and Gentlelase pro, the second clinic also said this will give a facelift and tighten the skin around my eyes which I want as well.

Melasma

Melasma can not be completely cured, however effective treatment are possible. This is because your skin is extremely sensitive to UV and even the smallest amount can stimulate your pigment cells to produce colour. The mainstay of treatment is strict UV protection- hats, sunglasses and SPF every 4 hours.

I prefer to use a combination of creams and laser for melasma. Hydroquinone can be used (5-8%), along with vitamin A creams. I usually start my patients on laser (low dose Q switch or Picosure) a few weeks after they commence on creams. Another laser I use is the Clear and Brilliant in the Permea setting combined with creams.

In some cases I combine glycolic AHA peels, and in other cases I use a tablet called Tranexamic acid to help. Melasma treatments should be tailored to each patient.

All the best, Dr Davin Lim. Laser, surgical and aesthetic dermatologist. Brisbane, Australia

Brisbane Dermatologist