Had breast aug 3 1/2 years ago. Can see and feel blue sutures under skin? Irritating. Should they come out?

Retained Suture

Check back with your surgeon. He or she should be able to remove the suture material fairly easily for you if they are bothersome.

Thank you for your question and I am sorry to hear of your suture irritation.  Any remaining sutures after 3.5 years are likely non-absorbable and if irritating should be removed by your surgeon. You are well-healed from your surgery and removal should not impact your results.  Hope that this helps.

Can see and feel blue sutures under skin.

The blue sutures are Proline, a plastic material often used for suturing under the skin. The suture material will not absorb and is jpermanent so if you have an issue with them your surgen should be able to remove them.

Thank you for your question. If the sutures are botthering you, I recommend makeing an appointment with your plastic surgeon to discuss your treatment options.

Sutures After Breast Augmentation

Thank you very much for your question.

I recommend visiting with the surgeon that did the surgery to discuss this.  Since you can see and feel the sutures, and they are bothersome to you, they should probably be removed.  Best of luck!

Daniel Krochmal, MD
Chicago General Surgeon

Sutures years after aug

You can go to yoru surgeon and they can be removed.Since they are still there they are permanent sutures and will remain.simple procedure to remove them.

Robert Brueck, MD
Fort Myers Plastic Surgeon

I see a stitch and it's been 3 years

Most blue stitches are permanent - it is uncommon to intentionally leave these close to the skin (it is common to use permanent stitches in breast surgery but usually colorless or deep enough so they aren't seen), however it may be serving a purpose (e.g. controlling the size of the areola). The best advice is to follow up with your surgeon and have an exam performed.

Breast augmentation - visible sutures under skin

Thank you for asking about your breast augmentation.
  • You are probably seeing a subdermal prolene suture rising to the surface.
  • You should see your plastic surgeon to have it removed.
  • Explain the problem when you make the appointment so there is time to do it when you come in.
  • Always see a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon.
Hope you find this information helpful. Best wishes