is this a tummy tuck right procedure for me? Will have I good results? (photos)

I've had 4 children and now been sterilised , I have lost 2.5 stone recently but lost nearly 4 from my heaviest . I'm booked in for a fleur de lis in Feb , but I'm still weighing at 14.6 stone and I'm worried this is still to heavy for the procedure. My apron as he called it is very large .

Is this a tummy tuck right procedure for me? Will have I good results?

Based on the pictures, it may be better to continue your weight reduction for  a better result. However, it is up to you to know if that is possible. 

Fleur-de-lis abdominoplasty removes more skin but leaves a vertical scar.

You are indeed a good candidate for a tummy tuck. You have a great deal of excess skin to be removed. Some surgeons prefer the fleur de lis in this situation, but it does leave a vertical scar. Personally, I would use a standard full abdominoplasty approach with a low scar and no vertical component. Best for you to look at results of both operations and make an informed decision. I have attached a link to my website. You are not too heavy for this procedure. Be sure your surgeon is experienced and look at plenty of before and after photos.

Eric Swanson, MD
Kansas City Plastic Surgeon

Will you have good results? Abdominal pannus removal

Hi, 

"Good results" is a subjective term. If you mean that you will enjoy an improved silhouette; yes - you will. Are you going to have the best results; no - you're not. In order to have the best results is to be at your ideal weight. This means a BMI of less than 25. If you can't get there on your own, seek the help of a dietitian or weight loss clinic. A lower BMI will also place you at a lower risk for complications post surgery. Be kind to yourself and loose the weight before going forward.  

Gary M. Horndeski, MD
Texas Plastic Surgeon

Absolutely! Go for the Tummy Tuck

You are an excellent candidate for Tummy Tuck.  If you have the surgery done you will have complete removal of all the fat and skin below the belly button and the muscles tightened to create a flat stomach. The weight loss is not a requirement to proceed with surgery.  The shape will be contoured by the surgery and you can more easily work on attaining improved health and shape for your entire body.   The surgery will give you an excellent kick start in addition to making the exercise easier, not to mention the increase in of motivation to continue to lose weight. 

Kimberley Lloyd O'Sullivan, MD
Pawtucket Plastic Surgeon

Weight and surgery, some advices:

Thank you very much for this interesting and important question.

Trying to lose weight before a surgical procedure its a very delicate matter, since in many cases a restrictive diet can cause problems, such as anemia, electrolyte disturbances, decreased protein, etc ... retarding the healing process and damaging the surgery.
For these reasons, if your purpose is to lose weight, i recommend you have a BMI less or equal to 30.
In this regard, you must to have a support with a nutritionist, so you can achieve the desired goal, in the most healthy way, without incressing complications risks in the plastic surgery to perform.

Kind regards 

Emmanuel Mallol Cotes, MD

Is this a tummy tuck right procedure for me? Will have I good results? (photos)

The recommended BMI is less than 30. This is the recommendation of the American society of plastic surgery. The reason simply, is increased chance of complications. These include but limited to, pulmonary embolus, deep venous thrombosis, delayed wound healing and increase infection rate.

there are different types of tummy tucks which one is right for me and how are they different from the other? There is a mini tummy tuck, tummy tuck and a vertical abdominoplasty. The appropriate procedure depends the amount and location of the excess skin. That's what your plastic surgeon will have to determine after the actual physical exam.

Choose a board certified plastic surgeon who has done a ton of Tummy Tuck and has privileges to do this surgery at a local university hospital. This says his credentials have been checked out by fellow Drs. All surgeries carry risk, talk to your plastic surgeon and choose one wisely.

Many surgeons, including myself, offer online virtual consultations where you send us your photos and we can estimate the cost. I, like many surgeons, also offer free consultations so that you can be examined and given the most accurate quote possible. Please be mindful that the in person physical exam is the most important and could potentially alter your treatment plan.

Tummy Tuck Now or Later

Thanks for your question. Ideally you would be at or near your goal when prior to having a tummy tuck. However, it can be done whenever you wish but may need to be revised later as you lose more weight. You may also consider a panniculectomy, which would remove only the apron but not repair the muscles. A consultation with a board-certified plastic surgeon will help you determine the right course of action. Good luck!

Janet Turkle, MD

TT right for me

Thank you for your question. At this stage I recommend to loose more weight before surgery. Complication rates are high with current status.

Is this a tummy tuck right procedure for me? Will have I good results

Although I do think you will see significant benefit form a tummy tuck at the present, if you are able to lose more weight the changes and end results will be improved

Julio Garcia, MD

Weight loss before body contouring surgery

Thank you for your question and for your photos.

Congratulations on your success in weight loss.

A fleur-de-lis abdominoplasty is a very powerful technique in creating major transformations in a person's abdominal contour. Based on your photographs, you appear as though you would likely benefit from this, assuming you have no evidence of hernias and are otherwise healthy enough to undergo surgery. I would recommend that you make sure your weight is stable and that you are at or close to your goal weight, as further weight loss in excess of 20 pounds can significantly impact your final result. Also, I would recommend that you avoid undergoing any major body contouring surgery until your BMI is less than 30 so you can decrease your chances of having a postoperative complication.

Good luck with your continued journey!

Joseph Brown, MD
Tampa Physician